• Have experience in Real Estate Litigation; or be able to demonstrate experience in both Non-Contentious Real Estate and Commercial Litigation.
• Manages own matters (with supervision), time and able to work to deadlines, prioritise and balance conflicting demands on time.
• Comfortable with working to and managing deadlines.
• Able to prepare and deliver technical legal advice in a concise commercial manner which is tailored to the client's business and the relevant sector.
• A willingness to be flexible and help others within this fast growing and dynamic team.
• An ability to adopt a commercial perspective rather than an ‘academic’ approach to legal issues.
• Change oriented with a positive, flexible approach towards the implementation of new initiatives.
• Confident advocate with opposing lawyers, with the client and internally and be prepared to assist with and present at seminars and lectures.
• Team oriented and collegiate with a willingness to support other members of the team.
• In addition to assisting other team members with complex matters, the core areas of the candidate's caseload will include:
o Advice on the validity of break notices;
o Service of break notices;
o Advice on the terms of leases and licences;
o Advice on status of occupation after lease expiry;
o Drafting and service of S25 notices and S26 requests;
o S29B extensions; and
o Drafting, issue and service of lease renewal/termination proceedings.
• Ideally 2-4 years' PQE
• Have a genuine interest in property litigation and ideally in telecommunications law (or be willing to learn).
• Have handled a varied caseload in accordance with client service level agreements and be comfortable with an appropriate level of supervision.
• Be prepared to assist in developing and maintaining the team's key client relationships.
• Support marketing and business development activity within the team e.g. article writing, attending marketing events and client training.
• Maintain and develop technical knowledge through attendance at training sessions, reading appropriate publications and exceeding Law Society requirements.
• Exercise full compliance with DAC Beachcroft protocols on data, billing and credit control and demonstrate a high level of financial management in respect of own files.
The role will be based in Leeds, however, we offer the opportunity to work within a market-leading Real Estate team in a top 20 firm, with offices in Leeds, London and other locations throughout the UK and across the World.
Our well-established Leeds team comprises over 20 fee-earners and support staff. We form part of a national Real Estate practice group which numbers over 100 in total. The Property Litigation team has in particular grown significantly in the last five years growing from a single fee-earner to a five strong team (six with this recruitment).
An expanding client list and increasing workloads means new team members are needed to play an essential, valued role in delivering the time critical, high quality service expected by our clients.
Successful candidates will be enthusiastic and dedicated, have a strong work ethic and are keen to seize the opportunity to progress their legal career by developing their technical skills and commercial awareness in a friendly, collaborative environment.
About the firm
With over 2,300 people, DAC Beachcroft combines one of the most comprehensive UK legal networks with coverage across Europe, Latin America, North America and Asia-Pacific. We provide a full service claims, transactional, commercial, risk and advisory capability. We work with clients in a select range of industry sectors and are market leaders in health, insurance and real estate. We are agile, progressive and easy to engage with.
We are committed to supporting the communities where we operate through charitable giving, pro bono work and programmes such as those operated by Business in the Community and The Prince's Trust.
In Chambers UK, the leading legal guide's 2017 edition, the firm received 57 rankings with 36 of our total listings in either Band 1 or Band 2, as well as 99 Ranked Lawyers.
In The Legal 500 UK 2016, one of the leading guides to law firms in the UK, the firm received 105 practice area rankings, over half of which are Tier 1 and 2. In addition to team rankings, 18 of our lawyers have been listed in the elite "leading individuals" list, some in multiple categories, and 161 colleagues are "recommended" in the editorial.
DAC Beachcroft holds certification under ISO9001, the quality assurance standard and ISO27001, the information security standard, and DAC Beachcroft LLP is the largest law firm in the country to hold a Gold Investors in People award.