Operations Manager - Return to Work programme
Learn more about Amazon’s long-term commitment to the UK.
We will make sure your transition back into the professional world is as smooth as possible. Here is what you can expect from us:
- You will receive coaching sessions and functional training that bring your skills up to speed before joining.
- Our managers are trained to develop every team member’s strengths and they will make sure to set you up for success.
- Besides regular developing meeting with your direct manager, you will be assigned a buddy and mentor that will support you during your starting period at Amazon.
- You will have the chance to work with brilliant people from all over the world.
- We value diversity of thoughts and Amazon gives you the opportunity to share your ideas with your manager and other teams to drive innovation.
- A peculiar culture based on our Leadership Principles. They are the foundation of everything we do. Whether we're discussing ideas for new projects or deciding on the best approach to solving a problem. Learn more about them here.
If you've had a career break of two years (or a little less, we're not overly fussy) then read on...
Our overall mission is simple: we want Amazon to be the place where our customers can find, discover and buy anything online. Whatever our customers want, we will find the means to deliver it. With your help, Amazon will continue to enable people to discover new worlds and implement innovation. This is your chance to make history.
Business area: Operations – Fulfilment Centre
Operations is at the heart of Amazon customer experience. Each action we undertake is done on behalf of our customers, as meeting their expectations makes us feel good.
The Ops teams in our Fulfilment Centres are responsible for teams controlling the vast range of fast-paced inventory from inbound to outbound and work very hard to ensure that our customers receive what they want when they want it.
Role: Operations Manager
The role of Operations Manager is a critical position and delivers huge impact both on the customer experience and on bottom line performance within the Fulfilment Centre. You will report to the Senior Operations Manager and you will be directly responsible for a team of Area Managers and their direct reports. As well as motivating them to do their best, it will be down to you to plan and resource everything effectively to handle the peak season.
As an Operations Manager, you will also lead on numerous improvement projects (KAIZEN) aimed at streamlining activities while driving up performance and quality. Taking part in site, regional and global initiatives, you will tackle complex problems that affect customers and work to resolve them with innovative solutions. You will be given a real opportunity to shape your area with ideas that could be rolled out across the Amazon network.
Whatever you focus on, it will be aimed at ensuring service excellence whilst continuously improving our processes.
• You will play a critical role in the management, control and direction of either Outbound, Inbound or Reverse Logistics area of Operations within our Fulfilment Centre. The extent of your duties will include:
• Maintain health and safety standards within the area and promote a positive health and safety culture on site.
• Lead, motivate and support a large team within a time-sensitive and demanding environment. This will include the setup and implementation of career development plans for all direct reports.
• Be a Subject-Matter Expert on larger processes and activities within the fulfilment centres, i.e. 5s audits, alignment with Standard Work procedures across the network.
• Management of the timely data collection to update operations metrics on an hourly basis, in an inventory control and systems environment, to achieve productivity targets, reduce cost per unit, eliminate errors and thus deliver excellent customer service.
• Work closely with other support teams (HR, Financial Manager, Facilities Manager, Safety & Security Manager, IT Manager) on staffing plans, schedules and performance levels to enable the Fulfilment Centre and the broader Operations network to attain Amazon’s Business Plan.
• Implement change and contribute to cross-functional Six Sigma initiatives within your site and the broader Amazon EU Operations network.
• Drive continuous process improvement and make our customer experience better than ever.
Required qualifications and skills:
• Have experience in leading large and diverse teams.
• Have excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Be competent in two or more production or supply chain areas, with an impressive track-record in a similar fast-paced logistics, distribution, manufacturing or engineering environment.
• Have a sincere bias for action and be passionate about achieving results and driving production through efficiency and process improvement.
• Possess the ability to manage detail, establish root cause and be able to extract and analyse data. Must be able to demonstrate effective problem-solving and analytical capability.
• Thrive on change, inclined to operate with flexibility and commit the time required to get the job done. Work shifts, including weekends, in an operational 7/365 environment. Willing to relocate if necessary.
Preferred qualifications & skills:
• Ideally, degree qualified in Engineering or a Supply Chain/Logistics/ Manufacturing related discipline or MBA graduate.
• Knowledge of Lean, Six Sigma and Kaizen methodologies would be highly advantageous.
• Amazon is an equal opportunities employer. We believe passionately that employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to discover, invent, simplify and build.
By submitting your resume and application information, you authorize Amazon to transmit and store your information in the Amazon group of companies' world-wide recruitment database and to circulate that information as necessary for the purpose of evaluating your qualifications for this or other job vacancies.