Press & Communications Internship
We're on the hunt for a bright, proactive, hard-working intern to join the busy Press & Communications team.
This is a six-month paid internship, based on the current London Living Wage rate of £19,890 pa.
Who we are
Mumsnet is the UK’s biggest website for parents, and our purpose is to make their lives easier. We’ve got some of the busiest forums in Europe, with users offering each other advice and support 24/7 (as well as more content, bloggers, videos, events and campaigns than you can shake a rattle at). We want to be indispensably useful for parents, and a great place to work. We are proud to pay all our employees, including those on internships, the London living wage as a very minimum.
Why work for us?
We’ve grown steadily and sustainably over the last 18 odd years and we’ve got every intention of carrying on. We’re building a high-performance, collaborative and agile work environment. We believe that mistakes are human, but learning is divine. We put purpose before profits, we’re committed to diversity and equality, and our computers - metaphorically speaking - say 'YES'. We don't only want to hire the best people: we want to retain them. If you need some flexibility, let us know and we’ll do our best. For more about our equality and diversity policy, see here.
We host sandwich lunches, staff parties and knowledge sessions; we have a choir, a book club and a football team; and we have our own yoga studio while remaining tolerant of the Lycra-averse. Working for Mumsnet means never having to pretend you don’t have a family (or other commitments) and we promise never to keep you away from the school sports day.
You’ll gain experience in:
- managing a busy email inbox, learning how to prioritise and deal with approaches from journalists, third-sector organisations and commercial companies
- managing and updating spreadsheets (Excel and Google Sheets)
- using analytics programmes (Google Analytics, Looker)
- scheduling social media feeds and tracking impact
- producing data reports demonstrating impacts and progress towards targets
- using our CMS
Where we are
We’re based in sunny Kentish Town, where you’re never more than 500 metres away from a sourdough pizza and an elaborately refurbished pub.
What you will do
- Work in a busy press office supporting our comms team across a range of tasks
- Send press releases
- Help to find media case studies
- Keep press lists up-to-date and maintain databases
- Answer first-line queries by email or phone
- Monitor media coverage
- Schedule and analyse some aspects of Mumsnet’s social media feeds
- Carry out administrative tasks as required
What you must have
- A demonstrable interest in communications and PR across traditional and online media
- A degree from a UK university, or equivalent
- An interest in the topics that matter to the Mumsnet audience
- A positive enjoyment of detailed, sometimes painstaking routine tasks
- Excellent grammar and spelling
- Fearsome organisational skills
- Sound judgement and sensitivity
- The ability to handle time and workload pressures
- A positive attitude and good people skills
It’d be nice if you had
- Ninja skills in Google Analytics, SEO techniques, PowerPoint and Excel.
- A cracking sense of humour
- Experience working in a related role
If all of this sounds good to you, please apply with your CV and a covering letter that demonstrates some of the qualities we’re looking for.
Deadline for applications is 12th July 2018, but we’ll be interviewing likely-looking candidates as soon as we spot them so please don’t delay in submitting your application.