Accountant (maternity cover)
6a architects requires a qualified accountant with ACCA, SIMA or similar, to manage the companies day to day accounts and all associated financial activity including book-keeping and reporting. The Accountant will work closely with the Operations Director and other staff, to provide an efficient finance function to 6a Architects, in accordance with best practice and statutory regulations.
Main purpose of the job
The Accountant is responsible for collating and ensuring the accuracy of the Practices financial information, ensuring compliance with relevant legislation and best practice and developing and implementing financial procedures. The role works closely with the Operations Director who has overall financial management responsibility.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
Annual Accounts & VAT
• Maintaining and improving the bookkeeping and accountancy systems to provide all necessary company financial information for the external accountant to complete annual accounts for audit and tax returns.
• Preparing and submitting quarterly VAT returns for the practice and any other secondary VAT requirements.
Monitoring and Reporting
• Preparation of year-to-date actuals: management accounts for the weekly meeting with the Operations Director.
• Producing cash flow projections weekly.
• Monitor external contracts and services provided by suppliers to ensure that these are operating effectively and provide the best value to the company.
• Contribute to the achievement of the company's business objectives by providing advice and guidance on financial strategy, including preparing analysis of historical financial and project data
• Contributing to the development of the financial systems of the company, providing regular feedback to the Operations Director.
• Inputting data and upkeep of bookkeeping and accountancy systems including sales and purchase ledgers.
• Regular reviews of debtors and creditors ensuring items are being proactively followed up and issues resolved.
Preparing and issuing monthly sales invoices
• Monthly bank reconciliations, and debtor and creditor reconciliations.
• Reviewing payroll and pension reports, ensuring all is accurate and timely.
• Overseeing debit cards and petty cash use and record keeping.
• Dealing with bank queries within authorisation limits.
• Organising weekly payment runs and making payments
• Operating in accordance with the 6a’s employment, health and safety, equal opportunities and other practices, policies and procedures.
• Undertaking such other duties as may reasonably be required.
Reports to: Operations Director/ Directors
Contract Type: Part Time. 3 days per week.
Maternity cover for 6 months (potential for a longer period).
Please send a CV (no more than 2 pages) and a short covering letter demonstrating how you meet the criteria outlined above.
Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis, however, the role does not start till March/April.
6a architects is an equal opportunities employer and values diversity in all forms.