Legal Services Adviser - opportunity to work from home
We’re looking for a Legal Services Adviser to join us on a part time basis. In this brand-new role at the Association of British Insurers (ABI), you will be responsible for supporting the ABI’s Legal Team in co-ordinating the ABI’s legal activities, including managing the ABI’s own legal risk and providing legal input and support to ABI policy work.
In return we offer a great work-life balance, training opportunities tailored to your own development and plenty of social and well-being activities to get involved in if you wish to.
Your day to day will involve:
- Drawing up, reviewing and advising colleagues on contracts for the ABI with oversight from the Manager, Legal Services;
- Coordinating, drafting and producing content for the ABI’s Legal Newsletter;
- Ensuring the smooth running of the ABI General Counsel Steering Group, including coordinating the agenda and materials for meetings and providing interim, ad hoc updates and information;
- Providing expert advice and guidance to ABI policy colleagues on ongoing legal and regulatory issues affecting the general insurance and long-term savings markets, making appropriate recommendations when required;
- Ensuring the legal risks of the ABI are effectively managed and mitigated;
- In conjunction with the Manager, Legal Services, developing and providing training to ABI colleagues on internal compliance policies;
- Proactively anticipating and recognising legal risks and escalating them to the Manager, Legal Services where required;
- Responding to legal queries raised by ABI Members and their legal counsel;
- Managing ad hoc legal projects and providing legal expertise, advice and support for ad hoc and cross organisational policy projects as required.
What training and benefits are offered?
On your first day you’ll be met by our HR team for a full company induction. You’ll then have inductions to get you up to speed with anything from Events to how our finances work, plus one to ones with relevant colleagues. Everyone goes on the CII Introduction to Insurance course and will receive plenty of on the job training. We host various Staff Learning Events throughout the year and you will be able to attend relevant ABI and industry events.
Additional training will be driven by your own personal needs and ambitions and we have a range of courses as part of our Learning and Development offering.
More detail on our company benefits can be found here.
We’re looking for:
You don’t need a background in insurance, but you will need experience working as a commercial lawyer with 2+ years’ post qualification experience (or equivalent) and experience drawing up, reviewing and advising on contracts.
We work in a collaborative and open plan environment, so you’ll need to build positive and constructive relationships with internal stakeholders and be willing to push back and challenge them in a respectful manner. Our aim is for you to quickly establish yourself as a trusted partner and source of expert legal advice among your colleagues and relevant external stakeholders.
Exceptional attention to detail is vital in this role and the interview process will include a task to assess this.
Please apply via the link below and our system will walk you through everything you need to do. The deadline for applications is 1 March 2019.
Please note the working hours for this role are 17.5 hours over 2.5 or 3 days. We support home working but due to the nature of the role, would require you to be in the office for 2 of those days.
Please note that as part of your application, we will ask questions regarding your background to support our commitment to maintaining diversity and inclusion in our workforce.
This includes not discriminating under the Equality Act 2010, and building an accurate picture of the make-up of the workforce in encouraging equality and diversity. Answering these questions is entirely voluntary and the information you provide will stay confidential, and be stored securely. Access is limited to only relevant and necessary staff members.
The ABI is the voice of the UK’s world leading insurance and long-term savings industry. A productive, inclusive and thriving sector, we are an industry that provides peace of mind to households and businesses across the UK and powers the growth of local and regional economies by enabling trade, risk taking, investment and innovation.
The UK insurance industry is the largest in Europe and the fourth largest in the world.
It is an essential part of the UK’s economic strength, managing investments of over £1.8 trillion and paying nearly £12bn in taxes to the Government. It employs around 300,000 individuals, of which around a third are employed directly by providers with the remainder in auxiliary services such as broking.
If you would like to know more about the ABI and the work we do please visit our site.
Closing date: 4 March 2019