Head of Policy (Maternity cover)
Faculty of Occupational Medicine and Society of Occupational Medicine
Head of Policy (Maternity cover from 1st April 2017)
We are looking to appoint ASAP, so if you are interested please send your CV and a covering email to Jane.Edbrooke@fom.ac.uk
• Contract: Part time. This post is initially a 10 month fixed term contract (£40k pro rota for 2 days or 14 hrs a week) or a day rate of £200 per day
• Reports to: Chief Executive of both organisations
This is a unique post which will see you working across two separate charities on a joint external communications agenda.
We are looking for a part time policy lead who will also take on responsibility for leading on our joint annual conference. This role will be very flexible in terms of how you use your time to meet your objectives.
The Head of Policy will make use of her/his strong communications background to take the lead in the development, delivery and day to day management of the charities’ external communications, ensuring that a programme of positive campaigns and proactive messages raise the profile of occupational health and the importance of the specialty. S/he will be responsible for working at all policy levels (DH, DWP, NHS, Public Health, Health and Wellbeing Boards etc.). The successful candidate will be highly motivated, have effective facilitation, influencing and diplomacy skills, have a flexible approach and be able to work independently.
The Faculty of Occupational Medicine (FOM) and the Society of Occupational Medicine (SOM) are both charities concerned with promoting and supporting health at work. This specialty of medicine is concerned with keeping people well at work – physically and mentally.
In broad terms the Faculty and Society have many similar aims and objectives including:
• Influencing Government and other stakeholders to improve working age health;
• Raising awareness of health and work to key stakeholders, employers and the public;
• Raising the standard and quality of occupational medicine and health practice;
• Improving access to good occupational health services (including accredited physicians);
• Increasing the numbers currently training in occupational medicine and health;
• Promoting a healthier workforce and supporting those of working age to benefit from healthy and rewarding work while not putting themselves or others at unreasonable risk;
• Providing CPD and educational conferences for those working in occupational health and medicine.
In addition, the FOM sets standards, manages specialty training and offers qualifications for doctors seeking a career in occupational medicine. The Society has a broader membership that includes nurses, AHPs (Associated Health Professionals such as physiotherapists, psychologists, occupational therapists etc.) and doctors who work in another speciality but have an interest in work and health.
To ensure that a strategy for external communications and policy is implemented effectively;
• To provide strategic communications and policy advice;
• To ensure the specialty is involved in all relevant policy development and evaluation throughout the UK;
• To deliver an externally focussed campaign aimed at raising the profile of occupational health within the wider health community;
• To ensure that the two organisations’ external communications are aligned;
• To review on a regular basis core messages to underpin all communications activity;
• To oversee the delivery of the annual joint conference, including supporting the creation of an engaging programme for the conference with the support of a programme committee of occupational health specialists.
• Minimum of three years experience in policy and communications
• Experience in the health sector, ideally including experience in a charity or third sector organisation
• Proven experience in policy development and presentation of policy documents
• Experience in delivery or commissioning of events
• Sound administrative skills and IT literate: familiarity with Microsoft Office software, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
• Proven networking skills and ability to command respect among internal and external colleagues
• Excellent communication skills
• A co-operative and flexible approach to work with ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines
• Degree or equivalent qualification
• Experience of working as a member of a senior team, providing mutual support to colleagues
• Ability to inspire confidence of senior staff and officers
• Excellent diplomatic skills and ability to act as ambassador for the FOM and SOM
Apply for Head of Policy (Maternity cover)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly