Deputy Director, EDS Projects
6 days left
- Contract Type
Main responsibilities of the role:
- Work with No. 10 Policy Unit, the Minister for the Cabinet Office and the Cabinet Secretary to identify and broker a shortlist of priority policy areas;
- Conceptualise cutting-edge projects in priority policy areas, in partnership with the Future Policy Network, departments and other stakeholders; ensure the quality of products and output as well as sufficient policy relevance;
- Present advice and help shape options for ministers and senior policy-makers on how to respond to major trends and developments deriving from horizon scanning and foresight analyses;
- Oversee and refine cross-government innovation and horizon scanning structures including by (i) providing collaborative leadership of the Future Policy Network, designing ways to entrench this new grouping and increase its impact and reach across Government and (ii) coordinating strategic horizon scanning (jointly with the Government Office of Science) so that Government takes into account the major developments of ‘tomorrow’ which demand consideration and/or action ‘today’;
- Influence senior leaders across Government to ensure that Government embeds the disruptive and long-term thinking available, into policy design and delivery;
- Lead a project and develop a set of targeted actions on how public sector delivery bodies can improve their complaints resolution systems and, in particular, use feedback from complaints to drive improvements to the delivery of public services;
- Deliver high quality and timely advice to the Cabinet Secretary, MCO, and Number 10 as required;
- Lead a high-performing, multi-skilled, outward-facing team of 9 and act as the focal point for a further 13 teams to provide direction and guidance;
- Play a full part in leading the secretariat through membership of the Senior Management Team.
The post will report to the Director and Director General in the Economic and Domestic Secretariat, and in turn to the Cabinet Secretary Sir Jeremy Heywood.
In your application you will need to demonstrate how you meet the following essential competencies, skills and experience;
- The personal presence, effectiveness and credibility to operate at a very senior level across Whitehall;
- The ability to work at pace in a complex multi-stakeholder environment, driving progress in the face of a range of competing views and priorities;
- Highly developed policy and strategic analysis skills that can be deployed flexibly across a wide range of business;
- Excellent judgment - including a sharp political sense of what is realistic;
- Highly developed communication, networking, influencing and negotiation skills;
- Strong, demonstrable leadership skills, both of high performing teams and corporately.
We would expect to find a candidate who can also demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
A proven track record of working closely with senior stakeholders.