Highways Design Engineer
Highways Design Engineer is required for a contract position in on Manchester. Sopra Steria Recruitment working in partnership with a major Clients.
Job Title: Highways Design Engineer
- Reporting to Senior Engineers, Principal Engineers, Associates and Associate Director.
- You will be responsible for Assistant Engineers, Technicians, Clerks of Works, temporary and seconded staff within the team.
- You will be working with other external Consultants.
- You will assist in managing and take a significant role to undertake the feasibility studies, conceptual, preliminary and detailed design, procurement and supervision of the construction of a range of civil engineering and highway projects.
- You will compile detailed specifications, detailed design drawings and bills of quantities required to invite tenders and arrange procurement of project construction works.
- You will manage information in project cost plans.
- You will liaise with Clients, Stakeholders, and the public on projects.
- You will have a minimum of 3 years post qualification experience in the design, inplementation and supervision of all aspects, in both, bridges and highway structures engineering design and construction-
- You will have an extensive knowledge and understanding of the relevant legislation, standards and procedures. Possess an extensive working knowledge of standard highway and civil engineering specifications, conditions of contract and methods of measurement.
You will be able to demonstrate recent experience in the following:
- The ability to deal appropriately and effectively with external organisations, statutory bodies and clients;
- Undertaking feasibility studies including preparing reports, cost estimates, investigating problems, and identifying of options;
- Working knowledge of the relevant legislation and guidelines including the Design Manual for Roads and Bridges, British and European Standards, Eurocodes and Codes of
- Arranging the procurement of highway improvement works through competitive tendering;
- Preparing schemes for tender using the NEC3 family of Forms of Contract, Manual of
- Contract Documents for Highway Works including use of Specification for Highway Works and the Standard Method of Measurement;
- Supervising and monitoring works on site, making valuations for payment assessments, chairing and managing progress meetings, identification and assessment of additional payments due to variation orders or compensation events, determination of project final accounts and completing the defects period;
- The ability to set and work to personal deadlines and targets to meet the requirements of programmes of work, to meet clients needs and to respond to targets set by others;
- Able to assist in preparing fee estimates and bid work;
- To demonstrate excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, both at a general and technical Level.
- Ensuring compliance of the team's work with a high regard to Health and Safety and the application of the CDM Regulations and other legislation.
- Supervision of and responsibility forjunior members of the team, including programming and allocating work and assisting in the training and development of staff, setting goals and monitoring their performance;
- Abide by the objectives and targets of both the section and the department and follow