Freelance/Flexible In-House Lawyers
Commercial Lawyers - Freelance/Flexible
We’re looking for strong commercial lawyers with experience working in-house in fast growth tech businesses. Your role will be client-facing as you manage a portfolio of interesting clients working directly with their management teams and focusing on building strong long-term relationships.
We’re offering flexibility on the days/hours you work, initially as a part-time role and with the ability to flex up (or down) your hours. You’ll work autonomously but also as part of a collaborative, fun and like-minded team helping to shape a dynamic growing legal services business. You’ll be supported by a brilliant management team, with a lead Director on key accounts and continued access to the wider Legal Edge support network. We hold regular team working days and quarterly team focus sessions to ensure on-going support, shared knowledge and continued collaboration.
- Working with founders/CEOs/CFOs/COOs of fast growth companies to manage and execute their legal matters, legal strategy, processes and budget, including prioritising legal spend;
- Supporting clients with general commercial legal needs, including closing out contracts and improving contracting processes, protecting and exploiting assets, managing disputes, compliance and risk management, HR issues, etc.;
- Reviewing/updating and creating policies and effective processes for clients to manage their legal matters; proactively supporting clients with more than law; working as a business partner to scale-up businesses;
- Providing proactive legal support to clients as requested and appropriate, working with external specialists as may be required;
- Working on and closing out a wide range of commercial agreements, including software licenses (Saas, on premise, etc.) distributor agreements, services agreements, development agreements, reseller and other partner agreements, standard terms and conditions, etc.;
- Building strong relationships with your portfolio of clients so that you can identify areas of need for the client
- Responding to new business opportunities or new enquiries promptly and efficiently
- Reporting regularly to Legal Edge management, and to each client, on the status of all your projects
Skills & experience
Our ideal candidate should:
- Be a qualified commercial solicitor or barrister with at least 5 years post-qualification experience;
- Must have worked in house, ideally in a fast growth tech business;
- Have experience of setting up or managing a legal function of a fast growth business; including experience of managing legal budgets;
- Have strong business acumen; be a pragmatic lawyer who likes to dig around and get under the skin of a business; work proactively with clients; know how to manage multiple requests and prioritise work;
- Have excellent knowledge of commercial and contract law; good working knowledge of IP, data protection, corporate law, some employment law experience also useful;
- Have strong analytical, drafting and negotiation skills;
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and be responsive to clients and team members;
- Be technologically able;
- Be organised, driven and flexible in approach;
- Thrive in a fast-paced, changing environment;
- Be a team player who can also work autonomously;
- Have good decision making and problem solving skills.
Language skills and/or legal qualification in another European jurisdiction, particularly German, Spanish or Italian, would be a bonus.
About Legal Edge
Legal Edge is a legal service designed especially for growing tech and media businesses. We’re an alternative to the many legal service providers out there whose advice can be too complex, too expensive or just impractical.
We’re flexible business lawyers who’ve all worked inside companies before, so we can show our clients exactly how to handle their legal strategy, processes and budget much more efficiently.
Working from the ‘inside-out’, we guide our clients successfully through all the big business milestones like attracting investment, going into new markets or launching new services. At the same time, we help them avoid any roadblocks like bad deals or disputes and make the most of technology wherever possible.
As a result, our clients can increase their revenues, protect their businesses and grow faster.