A 6-month Internship paid at the London Living Wage rate of £19,015 pa
Mumsnet is on the look-out for a brilliant intern to join our editorial team working on longform written content, social media and video content.
Who we are?
Mumsnet is the UK’s biggest website for parents, and our purpose is to make their lives easier. We’ve got some of the busiest forums in Europe, with users offering each other advice and support 24/7 (as well as more content, bloggers, videos, and campaigns than you can shake a rattle at). We want to be indispensably useful for parents, and a great place to work. We are proud to pay all our employees, including those on internships, the London living wage as a very minimum.
Why work for us?
We’ve grown steadily and sustainably over the last 16-odd years and we’ve got every intention of carrying on. We’re building a high-performance, collaborative and agile work environment. We believe that mistakes are human, but learning is divine. We put purpose before profits, we’re committed to diversity and equality, and our computers - metaphorically speaking - say 'YES'. We don't only want to hire the best people: we want to retain them. If you need some flexibility, let us know and we’ll do our best. For more about our equality and diversity policy, see here.
We host sandwich lunches, staff parties and knowledge sessions; we have a choir, a book club and a football team; and we have our own yoga studio while remaining tolerant of the Lycra-averse. Working for Mumsnet means never having to pretend you don’t have a family (or other commitments) and we promise never to keep you away from the school sports day.
Where we are?
We’re based in sunny(ish) Kentish Town, where you’re never more than 500 metres away from a sourdough pizza and an elaborately refurbished pub.
The role would suit either a bright, hardworking graduate pursuing a career in digital content - or someone with previous editorial experience who may be returning after a career break. Either way, you'll end up with a broad range of up-to-the-minute digital skills that will look fantastic on any CV.
We need someone with initiative who can hit the ground running. You’ll need to be good with people - you’ll be joining a newly formed team which will be working across Mumsnet and beyond, helping our product reviews reach their full potential.
This is a unique opportunity to work with an energetic and innovative group of people. Several members of our staff team began as interns, and we're always on the look-out for talented individuals to join us full-time at the end of the internship.
During your time with us, you'll learn how to:
- Use a CMS
- Sub, edit and produce longform written digital content
- Work with the video team to produce supporting video content
- Use social media to promote content
- Use analytics to measure success
- Project manage content production by our pool of freelancers
- Liaise with brands and PRs
To do this, you'll need:
- Be able to write really well, with impeccable spelling and grammar
- To be super organised and not afraid of multitasking
- An interest in and basic understanding of how brands use social media
- Some Photoshop skills
- To be ready to take the initiative and do so responsibly
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build and maintain good professional relationships
- A 2:1 degree awarded by a UK university or international equivalent
Nice to haves (but by no means essential):
- Basic understanding of SEO
- Basic understanding of HTML
- Experience producing content for a brand (either on a website or social media)
- Awareness and/or experience of the parenting and family sector (e.g. baby products)
If you think this sounds like you, please email both your CV plus a brief covering letter and a piece of writing that you believe shows your skills (on any subject).
We'll be calling the best candidates in for interview as we spot them, so don't delay!
Apply for Editorial Internship
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly