Director of Treasury Legal Advisers, Government Legal Department
The Treasury Legal Advisers Division is a part of the Government Legal Department and is responsible for legal services and advice provided to HM Treasury (HMT) and its agencies as well as to the Cabinet Office on public sector pensions. HMT is the government’s economic and finance ministry and has many responsibilities: public spending, including departmental spending, public sector pay and pension, welfare policy, and capital investment; financial services policy, including banking and financial services regulation, financial stability, and ensuring competitiveness in the City; strategic oversight of the UK tax system; the delivery of infrastructure projects across the public sector, including facilitating private sector investment into UK infrastructure; and ensuring the economy is growing sustainably.
We now seek a new Director to lead Treasury Legal Advisers occasioned by the retirement of the current incumbent. You will lead a high performing group of lawyers co-located with their clients in open plan offices in Parliament Square.
- Provide top level advice to HMT, managing specialist sub-teams covering financial services, HMT general matters and public sector pensions and the considerable secondary legislation required to ‘nationalise’ the EU acquis under the EU (Withdrawal) Bill in preparation for ‘exiting the EU’.
- Offer outstanding leadership to the Treasury Legal Advisers Division and contribute to the corporate leadership, strategic direction, and management of the Government Legal Department ensuring delivery of core priorities and reinforcing the organisation’s values.
- Ensure that legal advice of the highest quality is provided to HMT, its Ministers and officials, creating an environment in which legal analysis is properly integrated into the decision making and organisational culture of HMT.
- A Solicitor or Barrister qualified in England & Wales, experienced to a level that will achieve instant credibility with Permanent Secretaries and/or Ministers. Experience may have been gained in private practice, in-house in the private or public sector, or in a regulatory body.
- Significant experience of public law EU law and/or financial services law; this would include regulatory and/or transactional experience (such as capital markets or project finance). This is an advisory role so you will need to demonstrate your ability to come quickly up-to-speed on areas of law that are new to you, analysing and synthesising complex issues of law and practice that underpin HMT policy and operational delivery.
- Ability to think creatively, demonstrate inspirational leadership, and give authoritative, risk-based legal advice, working in conjunction with other professionals, e.g. economics, finance and policy, helping to ensure the delivery of an ambitious programme of departmental goals, especially in the uncharted waters of Brexit.
For an initial conversation about this role please speak to Amber Cunningham on 0207 367 0685, Stuart Morton on 0207 367 0684 or Anna Ponton on 0207 367 0683.
For further information, please visit: www.odgers.com/63172