Deputy Director - Telecoms
The Telecoms Directorate in DCMS is responsible for ensuring the UK has the digital infrastructure it needs to support a growing digital economy and a society that wants to do more than ever online. A major component of the government’s Digital Strategy, DCMS has to drive continued investment and innovation in the telecoms sector to ensure our telecoms infrastructure keeps up with how businesses and individuals want to use technology.
The government has an ambitious agenda for UK telecoms, with stretching manifesto commitments to improve broadband and mobile connectivity. This is a great opportunity to shape how those commitments are delivered and lead DCMS in setting the agenda for telecoms across government.
We seek a Deputy Director that can set the strategic direction for telecoms policy. You will have the opportunity to make significant decisions in shaping how the market for mobile and broadband telecoms operates and its underlying economics. You will design how the UK telecoms sector should operate and be regulated after Brexit, and establish a model for telecoms trade policy.
The Deputy Director will need to be:
● Comfortable working closely with ministers and able to build a reputation as a trusted advisor
● Confident in building an economic evidence base and using this to design strategic interventions in the sector
● Able to negotiate at Board-level across industry and its regulators to drive investment in digital infrastructure
● Able to build strategic relationships across government to support DCMS’s vision for the sector
● A strong leader able to build new teams and confidently lead staff through change