Volunteer Development Manager
This is a fixed term (2 year) role to develop a step-change in volunteer involvement at Blickling, to support a major new visitor experience in 2018. You will be responsible for developing fresh volunteer roles which support new audiences and new ways of working; and promoting great volunteering modelled on the National Trust's values and behaviours. You'll create sustainable new offers and approaches for volunteers that make use of their skills and experience and deliver for 21st century visitors. Working with other managers at Blickling, you'll ensure we have a confident and capable volunteer team.
What it's like to work here
Blickling Estate was left to the National Trust in 1940 by its visionary owner, Lord Lothian. Lord Lothian knew that the preservation of this special place, as well as others like it depended upon it finding a home in the heart of the nation. Today the estate is a place of hospitality and life and the team are always looking for hard-working people with a passion for the organisation and for exceptional customer service. You're likely to need your own car to get here, and the friendly team and vast estate make Blickling one of our most popular tourist destinations.
What you'll be doing
This role includes strategic and operational accountabilities and is a key part of the property portfolio leadership team with accountability to deliver volunteer growth and satisfaction. Both locally and as a wider organisation we aim to offer a rewarding volunteering experience for our existing volunteers and aim to grow the team in order to offer an even better service to our visitors.
You'll create and lead the direction of volunteering in line with the Property Business Plan. This will include creating a great place for volunteers to work and develop. You'll develop and facilitate training sessions and workshops and you'll manage change positively and creatively and champion the values and behaviours of the Trust in all you do.
You'll promote an open and professional volunteer culture, taking accountability for the professional development of all Volunteer Managers within the portfolio.
Your wider responsibilities will include contributing to the overall business planning cycle and duty management responsibilities. Additionally you'll be line manager for the bookshop and other exciting offerings.
It's a busy role and a tremendous opportunity to play a leading part in this beautiful part of the world.
Who we're looking for
To be successful in this role, you'll need;
- A proven track record of innovating, leading and developing volunteering offers and programmes.
- Good knowledge of volunteering principles, trends and practice.
- Experience of working with volunteers and knowledge of the framework which the Trust uses to support the volunteer journey or experience of using volunteer journeys at other organisations
- Evidence of understanding the differences between staff and volunteers, particularly the legal framework, the approach to reward and recognition and different motivations.
- Sensitivity, empathy and tenacity. Able to work with other people's agendas and adapt approach and style.
- Excellent people and influencing skills enabling strong relationships and networks to be built and maintained, externally and internally.
- Strong organisation skills, including proven management of a demanding workload and deadlines
- Have confident planning, presentation and communication skills
- Understanding of the aims of the National Trust and the Heritage Lottery Fund
Looking after you
- Health cash plan - from as little as GBP2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking