Deputy Director for Legislation and Better Regulation
This is an exciting time to join Defra. We are one of the lead departments in delivering a successful exit from the EU, dealing with a vast range of issues which profoundly impact on peoples lives.
Delivering a successful EU Exit requires legislation to enable the UK to have a functioning statute book on the day of exit. Defra has a major role to play in achieving that, both through the Great Repeal Bill and specific legislation on fisheries and agriculture.
You will be responsible for co-ordinating the department’s primary and secondary legislative programmes, providing advice, support and leadership to teams across the department. Whilst working closely with the whole of the ministerial team.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Lead for Defra on the Great Repeal Bill, working with DExEU to secure the necessary powers and co-ordinating the department's role in the Bill's Parliamentary passage.
- Co-ordinate the department's primary legislation programme, providing support, oversight and challenge to the Fisheries and Agriculture Bill teams.
- Construct a deliverable secondary legislation programme for Defra that brings together and balances the priorities of the regulations necessary to implement Brexit and the domestic reform programme.
- Lead Defra’s better regulation work including delivery of Govt set targets for reductions in regulatory costs to business
- Lead a team of 30 people located across the London, York and Bristol hubs.
- As a member of the DLGP senior team, help provide corporate leadership across the directorate.