Who we are
Mumsnet is the UK’s biggest website for parents, and our purpose is to make their lives easier. We’ve got some of the busiest forums in Europe, with users offering each other advice and support 24/7 (as well as more content, bloggers, videos, events and campaigns than you can shake a rattle at). We want to be indispensably useful for parents, and a great place to work.
Why work for us?
We’ve grown steadily and sustainably over the last 17 odd years and we’ve got every intention of carrying on. We’re building a high-performance, collaborative and agile work environment. We believe that mistakes are human, but learning is divine. We put purpose before profits, we’re committed to diversity and equality, and our computers - metaphorically speaking - say 'YES'. We don't only want to hire the best people: we want to retain them. If you need some flexibility, let us know and we’ll do our best. For more about our equality and diversity policy, see here. We are also proud to be a London Living Wage employer.
We host sandwich lunches, staff parties and knowledge sessions; we have a choir, a book club a football and netball team, plus there’s babyfoot; and we have our own yoga studio while remaining tolerant of the Lycra-averse. Working for Mumsnet means never having to pretend you don’t have a family (or other commitments) and we promise never to keep you away from the school sports day.
Where we are
We’re based in sunny Kentish Town, where you’re never more than 500 metres away from a sourdough pizza and an elaborately refurbished pub.
We are building an industry leading data platform to better service our users and clients through understanding user journeys, needs and preferences. With over 12 million monthly users across our site, social media and email this is a big challenge and we need help!
We're on the hunt for a high calibre Data Analyst who is passionate about and understands working with data. You will take responsibility for championing data within Mumsnet, ensuring we are capturing, analysing and using data to understand our users and improve our products. You will be part of a very exciting team that is looking to grow and develop Mumsnet to make sure we remain the no.1 place for parents online..
What you will do:
- We are putting data at the heart of everything we do and you will be our internal data champion and become one of our key experts;
- You will help us identify the data we need to capture and work with business teams to create the feeds to the central data platform;
- You’ll manage discussions with 3rd party tool vendors (such as email marketing and ad-tech providers) to link in data centrally;
- You will teach others in our business how to use our data platform, enabling them to self-serve;.
- You will use our analytics tools to interrogate our data, identify trends and create reports; You will help us to understand our users and their behaviours - to answer questions the business gives you and the business teams can’t answer on their own;
- You will help us to create management information and insights;
- You will help us test new product features, improve web rankings & optimise pages;
- Over time and with further training, you may build predictive data models;
- You will keep an eye on new trends and developments in the field, bringing them into Mumsnet.
What you must have:
- A computer science, statistics or mathematical background and degree in computer science, maths, statistics or quantitative marketing/analysis;
- Experience gained from your degree or commercially in analysing trends in large data sets;
- An understanding of big/complex data and the ability to interpret large volumes of data in order to draw conclusions;
- Some programming and SQL experience - within your degree, self-taught or gained commercially;
- Hands on experience with analytics tools - such as reporting / visualisation tools, Excel/Sheets;
- The ability to get up to speed with a variety of analytics software tools through reading their documentation on-line and trial and error;
- The eagerness and capacity to quickly learn new domains and technologies and apply your skills to unsolved challenges;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to explain complex technical solutions to customers and colleagues from all backgrounds;
- Teamwork - ability to get on well with a range of other teams and other Mumsnetters.
It’d be nice if you had:
- Experience of analysing data sets in a digital media environment (web / mobile / social);
- An interest in machine learning and artificial intelligence;
- Hands on experience with tools like Google Analytics, tag management, customer data platforms (like Treasure Data or Segment), business information tools (like Google Data Studio or, Looker);
- Exposure to code development environments (GitHub);
- Experience of data implementations building data pipelines, reports and data visualisations.
We’re looking for someone to work five days a week in our offices in Kentish Town, although we are proud to be a flexible employer and would certainly consider flexible options for the right candidate.
If you think this sounds like you, please apply with the following:
- A brief covering letter that summarises your suitability for the role and awareness of Mumsnet;
- Your CV
Please note that if your application doesn’t include all of the above items, it may not go forward for consideration.
Deadline for applications: 1st September 2017. We'll be calling the best candidates in for interview as soon as we spot them, so don't delay