Global Dialogue is seeking an exceptional individual to lead and develop IMiX, the migration, refugee and integration communications hub, at a time where the UK's approach to migration is being reset.
The successful candidate will be a strategic leader, with proven senior experience in influencing and informing public debate through strategic communications. To succeed in this exciting and game-changing role you will be able to move with vision and pace, building and sustaining a range of partnerships and collaborations to deploy effective communications strategies to a range of audiences.
Migration, refugee protection and integration are issues of significant public interest and debate in the UK. In June 2016, IMiX was established to work with partners to build public understanding of and support for an open, welcoming Britain. IMiX is a collaborative project which aims to shape and coordinate communications on migrant, refugee and integration issues, to achieve cut-through in the media and impact in the public debate.
IMiX operates in two key ways: firstly, acting as a resource for organisations talking about migration and integration, helping them to plan and deliver their communications in ways that reach the public, based on the best available research and analysis of attitudes, audience and messages. Secondly, playing a coordinating function helping to drive strategic communications efforts to build public confidence in and support for an open, welcoming Britain.
IMiX is staffed by a small central team, based in central London, and works closely with migration and refugee organisations at a national and regional level. IMiX is housed at Global Dialogue, and is overseen by the Global Dialogue trustee board and a dedicated project management committee. We expect that over the next two years IMiX will 'spin out' of Global Dialogue and find a home in the wider sector.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop, lead and deliver the strategic plan for IMiX, in consultation with key partners and in response to the dynamic operating context
- Gain the respect and trust of a wide range of media and third sector organisations, work in partnership with key players, utilise tested messages, and ensure maximum reach and impact for migration communications work
- Show thought leadership and creativity, from a strong values base Be able to assess and respond to the assets and challenges of a range of partners, planning and delivering appropriate capacity building activities Manage a small staff team, including developing internships
- Plan and manage the IMiX budget and oversee all its finances, adhering to Global Dialogue's existing policies and procedures Ensure clear and timely reporting to funders and develop future funding relationships, raising additional funds for new or additional work as required.
- Develop and deliver the spin-out of IMiX from Global Dialogue in 2018-19, in consultation with the trustees, management committee and key partners
- Support and work with the project's management committee on governance and management issues, as well as an external advisory board on broad strategy
- Serve as a member of Global Dialogue's senior management team, contributing to the leadership and direction of the organisation Report regularly to the Executive Director and trustees of Global Dialogue
- Carry out planned travel and work across the UK and occasionally internationally
We expect that the successful candidate will have most of these attributes:
- Deep knowledge and senior experience of delivering strategic communications as part of a wider change strategy
- Excellence in strategic thinking and planning, demonstrating creativity and an entrepreneurial sense
- Excellent understanding of media channels and experience of using a range of these to reach different audiences and achieve change
- Previous senior management experience, in a role that demanded leadership both within and beyond traditional organisational boundaries
- Excellent networking, influencing and partnership skills, and proven ability to encourage and facilitate collaboration both within and beyond the third sector
- Proven ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic context showing good judgment and clarity of purpose at times of rapid change
- Ability to work autonomously but skilled at facilitating timely input and advice from a range of stakeholders
- An informed passion for human rights and social change, and knowledge of current issues and debates relating to migration, refugees and integration in the UK
- Proven ability to raise funds from a variety of sources, and ability to lead fundraising efforts to sustain and develop the project
- Experience in organisational development, able to lead IMiX as it becomes independent of Global Dialogue Excellent written and spoken English, with expert communication and presentation skills
- A willingness and interest in working within Global Dialogue's collaborative organisational structure
The successful candidate must have permission to live and work in the UK.
This post is based in London but will be required to work nationally with a range of partners, so some national travel and occasional international travel will be required.
The role is available either full-time or four days a week by negotiation. We are offering an initial one-year contract for this role which we expect to renew as additional funding becomes available.
The annual salary for this role is in the range of GBP60,000 - GBP65,000 pro rata depending on experience. Global Dialogue offers 25 days holiday annually pro rata, and contributes 3% to its workplace pension scheme.
In addition to this role, IMiX's core team includes a full-time media manager and a 3-day a week administrator. The team works closely with up to five networked communications post-holders based in organisations across the country who second 20 per cent of their time to IMiX-directed activities. The Director of IMiX will report to the Executive Director of Global Dialogue, and is accountable to the Global Dialogue trustee board for the successful delivery of the programme.
IMiX is a project of Global Dialogue, a human rights charity registered in England and Wales. Global Dialogue promotes human rights and social change around the world by making grants and supporting grant-makers, and by incubating innovative projects - like this one - that arise from our grant-making.
The closing date for applications is 10 am on Thursday 14th September 2017.
We envisage that initial interviews will be held in London during the week commencing 18th September.
Please apply by email to , using the subject line "IMiX Director: [Last name, first name]" with the following attachments:
- A letter outlining why you want the role and how your experience and skills make you a good candidate, using the file name: "IMiX Director Letter[Last name, first name]
- A short two-page CV using the file name "IMiX Director CV[Last name, first name
For an informal conversation about the role, please email Charlotte Lepper at to arrange a time.
No agencies please.
Thank you for your interest in working for Global Dialogue. We look forward to hearing from you.