Director, Debt Services
This is a highly challenging, collaborative and influential role and you will work at senior levels across the Customer Services Group, HMRC and wider Government to deliver a complex portfolio of strategy, transformation and delivery activity that drives an excellent service for our customers and puts them at the heart of everything we do.
Reporting to the Director General for HMRC Customer Services the Director Debt Services leads a team of around 5,000 people across multiple locations in the UK.
All of our Directors are members of the Department’s Senior Leadership Team (SLT) and are expected to play an active role in the ongoing corporate management and development of the organisation. We expect all our senior leaders to be:
- Inspiring – about our work and its future
- Confident – in our engagement with others
- Empowering – to allow our teams to deliver
Our aspiration is to modernise HMRC’s debt services ensuring that it is better for the customer; better for our people; and better for business. This focuses on:
- Minimising new debt
- Dealing with debt as early as possible
- Operating an effective collection process
- Supporting tax payers who are experiencing genuine difficulty in paying their taxes
- Minimising losses
- Delivering year-on-year improvement in productivity
Key accountabilities and responsibilities include:
Maximise debt collection to help fund the UK’s public services:
•Promoting payment of debt at the earliest opportunity using a range of interventions
•Working across HMRC to develop and deliver the strategy for the prevention and management of debt
•Accountability for relevant commercial partnerships which increase effectiveness of debt collection and improve outcomes for HM Government
Transform services for our customers:
• which delivers for today and the future and drives excellent customer service
•Supporting our customers in moving to digital channels and introducing voice biometrics
Leadership as a core member of the Customer Services Group Senior Leadership Team and the wider HMRC leadership cadre
•Be a highly effective and inspirational leader, role modelling leadership behaviours and championing the Customer Services Group ‘be the best’ ambition
- Shape and influence Customer Services Group strategic direction and collaboratively work with colleagues to deliver
- Be accountable for efficiency and effectiveness of systems and processes that deliver HMRC services to the customer, ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction and minimisation of reputational damage.
- Act as an advocate for the development of capability and skills within HMRC, including Operational Delivery Profession
Leadership and management of a team of direct reports and overall responsibility for c5000 people.