Deputy Director, Head of Office for Artificial Intelligence (AI)
The Department for Digital, Culture, Media & Sport (DCMS) and the Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS) are establishing a new joint Office for Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Major new government ambitions on AI were announced in the 2017 Budget and Industrial Strategy. This included a Grand Challenge on AI and data technologies, aimed at transforming AI in the UK and enabling the UK to maximise its economic and societal benefits. The Office for AI, announced in the Industrial Strategy, is being created to develop and deliver this Grand Challenge.
This role will involve setting the vision, providing strategic leadership and leading a policy development and delivery programme for this new cross government team. You will expected to be a highly public face for AI as part of this role.
Some of the key responsibilities to include:
- Recruiting and developing the cross-government team, including bringing in skills and expertise from industry and across sectors;
- Developing and delivering an analysis and policy development programme to address critical questions for the growth of AI. This will be part of the programme known as the AI Grand Challenge;
- Building excellent relationships and partnerships across government departments and with industry, research and academic institutions;
- Leading the delivery of the AI Sector Deal, which involves R&D, skills, governance and security;
- Driving the adoption of AI technologies across the public and private sectors, with the goal of improving UK productivity levels;
- Supporting the AI Leadership Council to provide leadership on this industry;
- Supporting Ministers and senior leaders to promote the use of AI across all sectors.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a proven track record of leadership;
- Have exceptional stakeholder and relationship management skills;
- Be a highly effective communicator;
- Have deep political sensitivity and understanding;
- Be able to develop a new and diverse team in a changing environment;
- Have experience developing and maintaining effective relationships up to Board/Ministerial level.
Please see the vacancy information pack attached for full details of the role and person specification.
Details of who to contact for further information is also noted in the attached pack.
To apply for this post, you will need to complete the online application process as set out in the 'How to Apply' section of the information pack. This includes uploading the two documents outlined in the attached vacancy information pack, and this should be completed no later than 23:59, Tuesday 13th February 2018.
Please ensure that your CV and Statement of Suitability are uploaded as two separate documents.
Should you encounter any issues with your online application form please get in touch with us.