Senior Communications Manager
Who we are
Mumsnet is the UK’s biggest website for parents, and our purpose is to make their lives easier. We’ve got some of the busiest forums in Europe, with users offering each other advice and support 24/7 (as well as more content, bloggers, videos, events and campaigns than you can shake a rattle at). We want to be indispensably useful for parents, and a great place to work.
Why work for us?
We’ve grown steadily and sustainably over the last 18-odd years and we’ve got every intention of carrying on. We’re building a high-performance, collaborative and agile work environment. We believe that mistakes are human, but learning is divine. We put purpose before profits, we’re committed to diversity and equality, and our computers - metaphorically speaking - say 'YES'.
We don't only want to hire the best people: we want to retain them. This role is a really core one for us and the person we’re looking for might need flexible, part-time, job-sharing or non-standard working patterns. We are totally down with that. If you’re fed up with pretending you don’t have family commitments but want to stay in the eye of the media storm, this could be the role for you. (For more about our equality and diversity policy, see [[http://www.mumsnet.com/info/diversity-and-equality-policy]] here.)
We host sandwich lunches, staff parties and knowledge sessions; we have a book club, a skills matrix and a football team; and we have our own yoga studio while remaining tolerant of the Lycra-averse.
Where we are
We’re based in sunny Kentish Town, where you’re never more than 500 metres away from a sourdough pizza and an elaborately refurbished pub.
We're on the hunt for a Senior Communications Manager to keep Mumsnet and Gransnet front and centre in all the press, online and broadcast outlets that matter to our users and users-to-be.
What you will do
- Develop and deliver irresistible, target-busting comms strategies for Mumsnet and Gransnet
- Use your bulging contacts book to initiate and nurture relationships with journalists across all relevant media
- Bring fresh ideas to our well-developed, collaborative and successful comms team
- Represent Mumsnet as a spokesperson
- Respond speedily and with impeccable judgement to incoming reactive press approaches
- Write quotes, copy, topic briefings and press releases
- Use SEO and analytics to target, track, measure, analyse, refine and go again
- Identify relevant external organisations with whom we can work to produce strategic media opportunities
- Work closely with our editorial, community and commercial teams to keep track of multiple projects, prioritise and manage overlapping timelines, and represent the very best of Mumsnet and Gransnet
What you must have
- Intelligence, creativity and a cracking sense of humour
- Experience in journalism or comms - either in-house or agency - with a good understanding of what makes a story fly
- Great written English and a flair for writing copy
- Bulletproof time management, organisation and prioritisation skills
- The ability to research and digest new information under time pressure, and the confidence to speak authoritatively in public
- An understanding of and enthusiasm for Mumsnet users’ core interests and concerns
It’d be nice if you had
- Experience of being a spokesperson in broadcast media
- An established interest in media analytics methods
- Understanding of social media and email marketing
If all of this sounds good to you, please apply with your CV and a covering letter that demonstrates some of the qualities we’re looking for. Please include an example of a comms strategy that you have worked on, from idea through execution to coverage achieved (with links), and one press idea you think Mumsnet should pursue, with a skeleton outline of an appropriate comms strategy. Each of these should be no longer than one side of A4.
Deadline for applications is 19 February 2018
We’ll be calling the best candidates for interview as soon as we spot them, so don’t delay in applying.