Area Head of Electrical Installations - Colchester Institute
Job Title: Area Head of Electrical Installations
Regulated activity: Yes
Responsible to: Director of STEM Innovation
Line management of other staff: Yes
Location: As per contract
Grade: M39-42 £38,096 - £41,620 per annum
To take a lead role in developing a curriculum to support this curriculum area. This will involve developing a dynamic and highly responsive curriculum, with the opportunity to shape our responsiveness to employers, and to be a key person in the development of the growth agenda in North Essex and more widely. There will be scope to develop new innovative courses across the full range of levels and funding streams including full cost provision while ensuring the College is ready to offer the best possible service to employers, including through apprenticeships where appropriate.
To take responsibility, as a key curriculum manager, for the operational management and quality assurance of all programmes within the area, including classroom based, full cost and apprenticeship as required, and to act in a line management capacity for staff within the area. To manage staff and resources to ensure excellence in teaching, learning and assessment and the meeting of key college targets. To form part of the college’s Further Education managers’ team, working flexibly with other team members, to undertake appropriate management roles to increase the effectiveness and sustainability of the Area. To attend where required College Management Group meetings and any other management, committee or working group meetings as may be required.
- To manage an Assistant Area Head where appropriate, and/or a team of teaching/assessing/support staff, to include recruitment of new staff, undertaking Performance Development Reviews, objective setting, performance monitoring and staff development to achieve ambitious targets.
- To lead on excellence and innovation in teaching, learning and assessment within the area, establishing high standards for students, including for progress and destinations, and leading on student discipline within the area, including authorising student withdrawals, whether through discipline or other routes.
- To lead on the development of an innovative and up to date curriculum that is flexible and responsive to the needs of both local employers, Higher Education Institutions and to our students’ own progression ambitions. To lead on quality assurance of Further Education, Apprenticeship and full cost programmes, as required, within the area including self-assessment reports.
- Where relevant, to lead on the coordination, planning and development of apprenticeships, and Higher Apprenticeships, in the Area, working with the Head of Apprenticeships and others, as appropriate. To ensure that employer demand is met, and that the quality of provision is high.
- To monitor and control staffing and non-staffing budgets to ensure that budgets are set and met to maximise cost efficiency, course contribution, and the sustainability of delivery. To prepare timetables to ensure effective staff utilisation within the team and that students meet or exceed their planned leaning hours. To manage the staffing, physical and material resources necessary to support curriculum delivery.
- To provide effective line management for directly reporting staff (and counter signatory staff where appropriate) in the areas of communication, engagement, and resource and performance management – this will include direct actions on and management of staff welfare and wellbeing, discipline, capability, absence, grievance, investigations, and any other employee relations activity as may be required – taking relevant and appropriate advice and seeking developmental support as necessary to carry out these activities.
- To liaise with other Heads of Area to ensure the effective deployment of staff and non-staff resources. To ensure the effective promotion and marketing of programmes through effective liaison with the Marketing team. To ensure appropriate staff cover during absences. To ensure risk assessments are up to date and Health and Safety/Safeguarding/Prevent guidelines are fully implemented. Embed Equality and Diversity within the Area.
- For Further Education programmes, Full Cost courses, and Apprenticeships, to take responsibility for curriculum quality to include management of student recruitment, improving retention, achievement and high grades in line with college targets. To observe lessons and undertake learning walks to provide support for the development of excellent practice in teaching and assessing staff as appropriate.
- To research and advise on up-to-date teaching methods, modes of delivery and new curriculum initiatives and to deliver staff development sessions on the above. To lead on curriculum development to ensure continuous improvement of the curriculum offer and on the implementation of new courses, including full cost and apprenticeships, where relevant, and other new income streams to meet the needs of employers.
- To lead on Full Cost courses and Apprenticeships where required, and to design and implement commercial plans in partnership with CI Business Solutions (CIBS) team and, in conjunction with the Marketing Manager, develop a marketing plan aligned to the delivery plan. To lead on monitoring progress against the plan, meeting with key stakeholders to inform progress and to ensure actions are put in place to achieve the targets.
- To develop an effective partnership with CIBS team, including: to ensure the provision of technical specialist delivery knowledge to employers and learners and to CIBS; when required, and in partnership with CIBS, to identify training and development needs, ensuring that CIBS Account Managers are kept fully briefed.
- To lead and contribute to specialist project teams as necessary across the college and to disseminate information from such work. Undertaking such other duties as may be required by line management. Work to promote and apply the College’s Equality and Diversity Policy and Practices.
- Work to promote and apply the College’s Safeguarding policy and practices.