Vehicle Cleaning and Restoration Lecturer - HMP Birmingham
HMP Birmingham’s education department are looking for an experienced Vehicle Cleaning and Restoration Trainer/ Lecturer to deliver the Level 1 Certificate in Car Valeting plus some Level 2 units to a diverse group of learners within the prison. As a Lecturer within our Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will help to develop a strong Vehicle Cleaning and Restoration programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated Trainer / Lecturer to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Vehicle Cleaning and Restoration. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Vehicle Cleaning and Restoration trainer, with knowledge of reinstating Motor Vehicle interior condition and skills in restoring motor vehicle exterior condition. The successful candidate will have a can do approach to education and be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can thrive upon working within a challenging yet rewarding environment. You will be confident in sharing your skills & knowledge with our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMP Birmingham
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 per annum
Closing Date: 23rd April 2018
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
• 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
• Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
• Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
• Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
• Tax free childcare scheme
• Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
• Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
• 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
• Plus many more…
Milton Keynes College operate on three sites within HMP Birmingham, East Education, West Education, and G Wing Education, offering education to both mainstream and vulnerable prisoners. The education department is made up of a 6 person management team, overseeing 3 strand areas, Functional Skills, Vocational Training and Personal and Social Development.
Education Programmes are developed in partnership with the prison to offer a responsive and relevant curriculum, which includes work experience and work opportunities within the Establishment.
Our vision here at HMP Birmingham is to offer outstanding education to enable effective and purposeful resettlement for all learners on release.” “Using Time, not Doing Time.”
We want to make a difference to disadvantaged learners, to show that everyone has the potential to achieve and everyone deserves another chance, and the right support at the right time, can be the difference in breaking the re-offending cycle.
As a successful candidate you will:
• Certificate in Vehicle Valeting Principles (C&G)
• Knowledge & skills in reinstating and restoring the condition of motor vehicle interiors and exteriors.
• Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
• Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
• Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
• Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
• Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
• Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
• Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
• Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
• Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
• Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
• The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.