Quantity Surveying Apprenticeship
Apprentices are a key part of our early talent programme and are part of our wider strategy to develop skills for the future. We will give you the opportunity to develop your career with qualifications potentially up to degree level and including professional associations. You will be given the opportunity to work on exciting projects. In return we expect you to work hard both at college and in the workplace.
For more information and to view case studies please visit the Early Careers section of our website.
Programme Overview The Interserve Construction Technical Apprenticeship Academy has been developed, jointly with our partner colleges to provide bespoke training to our Site Engineers and Quantity Surveyors of the future. You will attend a college carefully chosen by ourselves and when not at college will be placed on a site or office to perform your designated role, along with the support of qualified professional employees at Interserve Construction.
There are two primary pathways available within this apprenticeship:
- Site Engineering (Construction Management);
- Quantity Surveying.
Quantity surveyors are primarily office based and assist in the management of costs relating to construction projects to ensure overall financial success of a project. They calculate the amount and cost of materials needed for building work and are responsible for the financial management of a number of sub-contractors (e.g. bricklayers, scaffolders, ground workers etc.) across a construction project.
- To assist senior staff in the compilation of data to monitor the performance of the project on a monthly and quarterly basis;
- To assist senior staff in the issue and management of records and documentation relating to the project contract accounts;
- To assist in the preparation of draft agreements with smaller companies;
- To assist in the buying of materials and services from smaller companies;
- To assist in the monitoring and management of these smaller companies to ensure that good are delivered and work is completed on time;
- To ensure that requests for payment are made on time and on a regular basis to the business for whom we are working and that these payments are received;
- To ensure that payments to smaller companies are made promptly.
- Practical and logical qualities and a methodical way of thinking;
- Creative and innovative approach to problem-solving;
- Strong numeracy skills and the ability to learn sophisticated design and costing IT packages;
- Ability to read and understand construction drawings (with training);
- Ability to write clear and precise reports and to relate complex information simply to a diverse range of people;
- Ability to work in a multi-functional and dynamic team environment;
- Enthusiasm to learn and develop;
- A levels preferred however a minimum of GCSE Grades A* - C in Maths, English Language & a Science is required.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: What would I be studying?
A: Apprentices will study for a Level 3 Apprenticeship in Construction with qualifications achieved through a combination of college work and gathering work based experience and evidence. Q: How is the programme structured?
A: The apprenticeship programme lasts for 3 years and during this time you will attend college part time - the remainder of your time will be spent on site learning the practical elements of your role. Q: Where will I study?
A: You will study on a day release basis at Salford City College.
Q: What will my salary be?A: You will receive an annual salary of £11,557 rising to £14,709 along with a variety of company benefits such as 26 days annual leave, access to a company pension scheme, opportunity to join the share plan options and a range of flexible benefits. Q: Where will I work?A: Depending on the business unit you are allocated to, you will be attached to the North West regional office, but will spend the majority of your time based on a live construction site working alongside our trained technical and professional staff. The specific location of your apprenticeship will be discussed with you at the interview. Q: What will happen on completion of my apprenticeship?A: We are committed to developing you as far as you can so would be looking to support you on a higher level apprenticeship.
Q: How will the programme be structured? What does it involve? A: You will be supported on a day to day basis by your line manager who is committed to ensuring you develop and achieve your potential. Alongside your line manager, you will also be assigned a mentor who can support your wider career development. You'll be part of the wider Interserve Construction Apprentice Community which is comprised of the cohort you will be joining and our apprentices who joined the year previously.
Application & Selection Process
To apply for this role please use the "apply for this role link" below. The application and selection process is detailed below.
- Stage 1: You will be expected to complete the application form, which will ask you questions such as why you are interested in undertaking an apprenticeship. You will also need to upload your current CV and copies of your educational certificates.
- Stage 2: If you meet the minimum criteria we will invite you to undertake a set of ability tests which will be carried out online.
- Stage 3: You will be invited to attend an interview at our Wigan office which will be conducted by our local hiring managers so you will get to meet some of the people you will be working with when you join us. Interviews are scheduled for: Week Commencing 28th May 2018. Please ensure you are available during this time to attend interview.
Additional job board text
Interserve's vision is to redefine the future for people and places. We are one of the world's foremost support services and construction companies, operating in the public and private sectors in the UK and internationally. We offer advice, design, construction, equipment, facilities management and front-line public services. Interserve is based in the UK and is listed in the FTSE 250 index. We have gross revenue of £3.62 billion and a workforce of 80,000 people worldwide.
We are committed to equal opportunities for all and are accredited by Investors in Diversity & the National Equality Standard.
This job was originally posted as www.totaljobs.com/job/80744092