Additional Learning Support Practitioner - HMP Spring Hill/Grendon
HMP Spring Hill/Grendon’s education department have an exciting opportunity for an Additional Learning Support Practitioner to join their Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team. The ideal candidate will be someone who is able to inspire and assist learners throughout their academic and vocational studies/qualifications.
The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered. You will be a passionate, creative and empathetic towards our learners while also offering knowledge and guidance throughout their courses.
- Skills assessment and highlighting specific learning needs.
- Provision of ALS within accredited learning programmes
- Focused learning support for English and math, leading to employability outcomes
- Effective target setting to meet individual needs; including personal, social and educational targets
- Inspirational learning support small group and one to one learning
- An holistic approach to improving learner skills to support transition into a relevant career pathway
- Providing appropriate support in formal assessment
- Coordinate the allocation of support to ALS students
Location: HMP Spring Hill / Grendon
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £21,522 per annum
Closing Date: 18 th April 2018
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
- 25 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
- Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
- Access to Local Government Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Busy Bee’s childcare vouchers can save working parents up to £933 per year in a variety of registered childcare, such as Nurseries, Nannies, after school activities, Summer Camps and Breakfast Clubs up the age of 15.
- Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
- Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
- 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
- Plus many more…
HMP Spring Hill is an Open Category D (resettlement) prison, housing approximately 320 male prisoners who are at the end of their custodial sentence and working towards resettlement. Courses at Spring Hill are as above, with additional vocational courses.
HMP Grendon is a unique Therapeutic Category B national prison housing approximately 220 long term, prolific (re)offending adult males. The Education Department works closely with our prison colleagues to deliver relevant long courses that help prepare learners for employment and positive community living upon release.
As a successful candidate you will have…
- Have a good basic general education including GCSE (or equivalent) Maths and English at Grade C.
- Hold an NVQ2/NVQ3 Teaching Assistant qualification or be willing to work towards.
- Have experience of working in a learning environment.
- Have well-developed interpersonal skills in relating to prison staff and in working with students who may have little experience of education and training.
- Be computer literate and willing to improve your IT skills.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team and on their own initiative.
- Have good organisational skills and be able to meet deadlines.
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.