Subtitler - Flexible
TVT is recruiting subtitlers to work from home to create live and pre-recorded subtitles for a major new client in the UK. You will need a very high level of spelling and grammar and a good general knowledge. You will be working in a live TV environment so will need to enjoy working under pressure and working shifts including evenings and some weekends. The role doesn’t require specific subtitling experience – all training will be provided – more important is an enthusiasm for television and an ability to work flexibly. You will need a suitable working environment. There is a range of start dates from May through to August.
Headquartered in London with additional facilities in Amsterdam, Singapore, Sydney, Los Angeles and Tokyo, TVT is a leading content services provider, enriching, transforming and delivering media worldwide. With the recent acquisition of DMC, TVT is a global content services powerhouse.
TVT provides an end-to-end content services and logistics offering: from versioning and compliance, through media management, VOD asset creation and delivery, archive and library services, including digitisation and restoration of legacy formats, content aggregation, sales fulfilment, access services production, multi-platform channel playout and distribution.
Purpose of the role
Subtitlers provide live and pre-recorded subtitles to make the full range of TV output accessible to Deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers. The subtitling services operates 365 days of the year and subtitlers should expect shift work with a high proportion of evenings and weekends.
- Subtitles both live and recorded TV and on-demand programmes.
- Participates fully in a continuous process of performance improvement on a team and individual level.
- Meets and exceeds expected accuracy, productivity and utilisation targets.
- Participates in the training of new TVT staff.
- Escalates issues and problems in a timely manner.
- Supports the investigation and response to customer complaints or enquiries.
- Understands all relevant operational workflows, software and systems, including details of interfaces and handoffs with clients and other third parties.
- Contributes to the Health & Safety and regulatory compliance of the organisation by identifying and correcting or escalating any matters of concern appropriately.
- Such other related duties as the management may from time to time reasonably require.
Scope and Impact
The role directly interfaces with our clients’ audiences. The post holder must have high levels of personal integrity and must take personal responsibility for their work. Organised and systematic in approach, with superb attention to detail, they must be able to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines while maintaining a professional manner.
- Reports to the Subtitling Team Leader, Access Services.
- Works closely with the Access Services Operations Managers and their teams.
- Works closely with other Access Services production personnel.
- Works closely with TVT technology support teams.
Experience, knowledge & skills required
- An excellent standard of written English, including spelling and grammar.
- An ability to work under extreme time pressure and in a live broadcast environment and maintain quality at all times.
- Great teamworking skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to proofread, review and correct own work as well as text and scripts created by others to ensure 100% accuracy.
- Able to edit text or audio into clear subtitles which retain the full sense and flavour of the programme.
- A clear and confident speaking voice (as speech recognition is a key technology).
- Confidence with technology and able to learn and adapt quickly to new technologies.
- A love of TV and a strong awareness of news and current affairs.
- A strong commitment to diversity and fairness.
- Must be proactive in tackling difficult issues and in identifying opportunities for improvement.
- An understanding of the aims, benefits and challenges of TV accessibility is desirable.
- Knowledge and understanding of the UK Access Services industry is desirable. Knowledge and understanding of the global TV and Media industry is desirable.
- Communication – strong written and verbal skills to work effectively and diplomatically with contacts at all levels including clients, colleagues, regulators and viewers
- Problem solving - able to simplify complex problems and to explore/evaluate them systematically. Analyses and solves problems alone or with others as appropriate.
- Planning and organising - able to think ahead proactively, to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritise and plan activities with excellent attention to detail, taking into account all the relevant issues and factors to manage time effectively.
- Working under pressure – able to maintain attention to detail, multi-task and deliver to a tight transmission/publication deadline. Works productively in high a pressure environment and keeps emotions under control. Learns from setbacks
- Managing relationships - to build and maintain effective working relationships. Work with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively. Self-aware and sensitive to impact on others. Persuades and influences colleagues and customers at all levels.
- Customer focus - passionate about delivering excellence and motivating internal departments to focus on customer needs and priorities. Commercially aware
- Leadership – Creates shared understanding through transparency, trains and develops direct reports and colleagues from other departments, empowers others with knowledge and delegating responsibility, treats others with respect, recognises politically or commercially sensitive situations and acts appropriately
- Accountability – Takes ownership and responsibility, makes tough decisions impartially, exponent of best policy and practise and ensures confidentiality of data, content and information are preserved.
Hours of work
A 35-hours per week shift-based role, working across a rota pattern which operates 365 days a year, which includes roughly two weekends in every five and a high proportion of evening shifts. We encourage home-based working where possible.
**Please email your CV attaching a cover letter setting out, in no more than 500 words, why your skills and experience make you well suited to the job of Subtitler. The roles will all be fixed-term contracts. Please specify in your covering letter your preferred starting month.
**Recruitment process will include spelling, grammar and respeaking test**
Apply for Subtitler - Flexible
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly