Network Analyst for Network Rail
This is a unique and exciting opportunity to join a dedicated team of analysts helping to create the railway of the future. Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britain’s railway. From HS2 and Crossrail to major programmes of electrification, we are involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures the nation has ever seen. As the System Operator we are the body responsible for the creation, planning, and allocation of capacity to run trains on the network – helping to deliver economic growth to the nation.
Planning for the future is a top priority – and our Capability & Capacity Analysis Team has a key role to play in that. Our Network Analysts roles are at the centre of the team and we’re looking for enthusiastic and motivated individuals who want to make a real difference in shaping a rail network ready for the demands of tomorrow.
Using the latest techniques and analysis tools, you will test new infrastructure schemes and your findings will be at the centre of decisions about how we increase rail capacity.
The excellent training we provide will give you the skills you need to do this role and build a foundation for your career at Network Rail. You will learn:
- Advanced capacity and performance modelling and analysis techniques
- Signalling systems and railway operating procedures
- The factors that can affect network performance and how it is measured
- Railway industry planning and operating frameworks
- Project management lifecycle
- How enhancement schemes develop through the investment process.
Using the very latest analytical techniques, train planning and performance analysis tools, you’ll test new infrastructure schemes. Your findings will be at the centre of decisions about how we increase rail capacity. Ultimately, you’ll help us to make sure more trains and faster services operate across Britain. You’ll utilise a mixture of specialised computer modelling software and high-level data analysis to identify viable changes to services, rolling stock or infrastructure. What’s more, you’ll help us to develop innovative new processes to improve industry planning techniques.
We don’t expect you to have railway or planning experience, but you’ll certainly need to demonstrate analytical, investigation and problem solving skills. Crucially, you’ll have the ability to communicate clearly and influence people at all levels. We’ll provide the rest. Which means willingness to learn and develop is vital.
This role requires a mixture of analytical investigation and problem solving skills, and the ability to communicate outputs to a variety of audiences at all levels of the industry. Key accountabilities will include:
- Undertake performance and capacity analysis through a mixture of specialised computer modelling software and high-level data analysis
- Help develop new methodologies and processes to improve industry planning and analysis techniques
- Ensure that all analysis is undertaken to a high standard and demonstrate the ability to drive your own development successfully through a comprehensive training programme in planning and analysis techniques and tools.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Previous railway or planning experience is not essential, but a proven work or academic background using problem-solving and analytical skills is required.
- The ability to apply analysis skills to achieve project outputs consistent with time, quality and cost objectives
- The ability to communicate and influence people in all levels of our business
- Proven experience in delivering to agreed timelines and standards
- The desire to make a difference in a complex and customer focused environment.
- Understanding of computer simulation techniques
- Experience and/or knowledge of railway operating procedures.
For all roles, we expect our people to be Collaborative, Challenging, Customer Focused and Accountable and passionate about Building a Better Railway for a Better Britain.
Closing Date: 14th June 2018