Assistant Category Manager
Assistant Category Manager
Reporting to Category Director / Procurement Manager
To support the Category Director and Procurement Manager with existing retail accounts. You will develop an understanding of sales process to enable you to cover the day to day management of the account.
- Manage the day to day handling of the account. This will include orders, stock management (in line with the procurement team), logistics, communication internally, between the customer, other suppliers and growers/packers
- Ensure every aspect of order distribution and fulfillment is met
- Assist growers and packhouses when haulage related issues arise to find a solution
- Assist growers and pack houses when haulage related issues arise and negotiate the most cost effective solution
- Manage rejections and collections: Communicate details to sales support, arrange return transport to ensure fruit is returned as soon as possible to minimize the impact, remove orders from the system
- Ensure that shorts/overs are communicated to Category Managers and customers
- Look forward and liaise with procurement to implement solutions.
- Keep up to date with market trends using the appropriate data :
- Kantar data analysis
- Mintec understanding and management
- AOD management
- System updates including SDP and QAS
- Deal directly with some buying managers to cover CM and will be expected to develop and strengthen these areas of the account whilst doing so profitably
- Maintain regular Customer/Supplier contact
- Distribute weekly programs to UK growers
- Clearly communicate any potential issues or shortages
- Give Commercial Manager and Commercial Directors concise weekly appraisals of each area the candidate is managing
- Collation of management reports as directed, tracking year on year figures, varieties, origins, cost prices
- Reconcile stock on a daily basis and follow up on discrepancies e.g. weight returns
- Interface with Assistant Category Managers/ Category Managers to ensure all queries are dealt with from customers and suppliers
- Work with growers, printers and packaging manufactures to identify cost savings
- Assist team to ensure labeling changes are implemented
- Assist CD with projects and presentations where necessary
- Compile data very accurately
- Help other team members to develop in their roles
- Experience - knowledge of produce preferably or other fast moving goods industries dealing with retailers
- Computer literacy - all Microsoft applications
- Attention to detail - all duties must be carried out with a very high level of accuracy sometimes in a pressured environment
- Decision making - candidate must be able to make decisions confidently whilst understand the consequences in the absence of the Cm
- Negotiation - the right candidate will need experience in price negotiations
- Team player - working as part of a close knit commercial and technical team and communicating well within the team.
- Ability to communicate effectively, employing tact and discretion and demonstrating a genuine desire to provide a good service.
This job description is not exhaustive. As per the needs and requirements of the business, the post holder may occasionally have to undertake reasonable duties which are not outlined in this job description.
Hours:40 hours per week (Monday to Friday 8am – 5pm). Weekend work is required on a rota basis with payment in lieu or days off in lieu
Please get in touch with Frank or Georgina on 01273 720 599 / 07734 861 080 to discuss the role.
Or if you feel you have the above experience, please send over a CV and we will get back to you with some feedback and more information about the role and the company