Senior Digital Developer
This will be a key role in the design, build, support, implementation and improvement of digital services, products and platforms across DVSA. You will work within a multi-disciplinary team using agile delivery methodologies, delivering solutions that meet user needs.
You will be expected to work from requirements or high-level design without the need for direct supervision, and will be responsible for the development and delivery of well designed and executed software and data management solutions, using Agile methodologies. You will coach, support and mentor individual and apprentice developers.
You will be committed to quality and will promote quality software engineering techniques within the team, such as code review, design review, reusability of code, refactoring, automated testing and use of standards.
Roles and Responsibilities will include.
• Building digital services and software solutions to serve a variety of users needs, and complying with the Digital by Default service standard.
• Implementing APIs for internal and external use.
• Building up a robust, automated test suite to support a Continuous Deployment environment.
• Creating a culture of collaboration between development teams and business partners to establish and enable accelerated delivery models.
• Being involved in the wider development community of interest, identifying good practices we can adopt and sharing our experiences within the team and to external stakeholders.
• Sharing knowledge of tools and techniques with the wider team, both developers and non-developers.
• Taking part in 2nd-line support of applications and platforms, and supervising individual development resources in geographically diverse locations through online and other channels.
• Reusing of code from across government/open source platforms.
• Analysis of complex technical problems in collaboration with user research
& data analysis, making appropriate recommendations to senior stakeholders, and creating solutions.
• Ensuring that development teams consistently practise core agile principles of collaboration, prioritisation, team accountability and visibility.
• Working with other areas within DS&T to share knowledge and best practice; and develop re-usable products and services.
• Coaching and mentoring developers and apprentices, and providing guidance on delivery of more complex requirements and solution of problems.
• Fostering continuous improvement of services through identification and implementation of strategic end to end system improvements.
• Working with Service/Product managers to define service roadmaps and adapt plans to respond to emerging user stories, requirements and risks.
• Identifying key challenges and remove impediments to progress, to achieve maximum productivity.
• Managing agreed plans for development tasks to ensure successful completion to parameters of scope, budget, time and quality, including monitoring through all phases of development lifecycle.
• Leading the assessment, analysis, planning and design of release packages, including assessment of risk.
• Conducting post release reviews; ensuring that release processes and procedures are followed.
• Empowering teams to self-manage, including prioritisation of work to be done.
Skills and Experience:
• Experience and detailed knowledge of PHP including the Zend Framework.
• Knowledge of technologies used for web applications, e.g. databases, backups, CDNs and search, and of Unix (or UNIX both acceptable) based operating systems, e.g. Linux and/or Mac OSX.
• Proven experience of delivering successful development outcomes in comparable digital transactional services.
• Understanding of software design principles.
• Commitment to building quality into the solution and advocating the need for code quality.
• Understanding of Agile working practices including Scrum and/or extreme Programming.
• Ability to quickly research and learn new programming tools and techniques, and share knowledge with peers and juniors.
• A systematic approach to solving technical problems.
• Can take the lead based on technical specialism and co-ordinate team members.
• Ability to work with senior stakeholders effectively and amiably, articulating complex technical matters to non- technical stakeholders.
• Ability to diagnose and debug production issues.
• Experience of using testing to validate solutions.
• Basic understanding of web security.
• Ability to communicate technical concepts to peers through written documentation.
• Understanding of how to priorities work in a fast, customer centric, environment.
• Experience of building and scaling high-traffic websites.
• Experience leading technical projects within a team and working well in an agile environment.
• Familiar with the Digital by Default Service Standard.
• Active member of community of interest, with relevant contacts so as to bring new ideas and improve current practice.
• Experience of presenting and leading knowledge sharing sessions as part of a community of interest; evidence of developing self by maintaining technical knowledge.
• Demonstrating innovation and delivering improvement by introducing change and sharing knowledge among peers, and influencing senior grades.
• Graduate in Science, Technology, Engineering or Maths subject
• Graduate in Science, Technology, Engineering or Math's subject