Work Based Assessor - Engineering
Job Title: Work Based Assessor - EngineeringRef: ME1718076
Background to Post
Northampton College is the leading provider of Further Education in Northamptonshire, and financially outstanding. Our state of the art campus and reputation puts us in a dynamic and unique position to meet both the learning and training needs of individuals and employers.
The Business Centre is an innovative and far-sighted response by the College to the demands of the funding regime and the need to be proactive and responsive to the needs of employers. The unit is predicated on an enthusiastic approach to the delivery of activity. The emphasis is on teamwork to deliver team goals and outputs rather than individual inputs. The unit is driven by very high expectations of recruitment, retention, quality delivery, and timely achievement.
To become the best provider of workplace training in Northamptonshire by providing quality service and increasing success rates year on year.
Working closely with the support of Business Development Executives (BDE) to deliver high-quality training, assessment, and support to students in their workplace.
The postholder will carry a caseload of students weighted according to the duties of this role. This will include assessing, training and where appropriate internal quality assuring.
It is expected that wherever an EDE starts on the spectrum of skills that all will work towards the capability of delivering advice and guidance, supporting functional skills, NVQ/Diploma assessment, underpinning knowledge and, where appropriate, Technical Certificate. Staff development is extremely important and there is an expectation that most will gain the Internal Quality Assurance (IQA) qualification.
It is the responsibility of the EDE to manage the whole process of support, training, and assessment for each apprentice. This will start with recruitment to maintain caseload, continue with initial advice and guidance, enrolments, completion of Individual Learning Plan, training, assessment, registration with Awarding Body, coordinate delivery of Functional Skills with the Functional Skills Team, Technical Certificate (or coordinate with relevant School), review and sign off processes. All of this will occur within the time frame of the original ILP in order to meet the timely success rates.
Duties and responsibilities
- Carry out induction of employers ensuring commitment in support of the student’s agreed programme. This will include conducting a health and safety audit and risk assessment
- To manage the overall learning programme for each student and ensure full compliance with the apprenticeship scheme
- Conduct interviews with potential students
- Complete student enrolment and induction process once a suitable programme has been identified which meets the individual needs of the student. This includes:
- Conducting initial assessments including identifying any additional support/learning needs.
- Agreeing and completing with each student an individual learning and assessment plan
- Ensuring eligibility, and registering students to the appropriate examining board
- Meet agreed targets agreed with your Employee Development Team Leader to deliver overall volumes of students.
- Maintain accurate tracking/records using Smart Assessor where appropriate which allows your EDTL to monitor progress for all students.
- To deliver and assess Qualifications at level 3 in both Electrical Installation and Electrical Maintenance in the workplace
- To support delivery of other apprenticeship framework components, including Employer Responsibilities and Rights (ERR) and Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS).
- To complete assessment visits and progress reports on each learner
- To meet the requirements of the Code of Practice as directed by Internal and External Quality Assurers.
- To participate in formal quality monitoring activity which will include observations
- To contribute to the course review procedures and action plans
- Completion of all Northampton College/SFA/ESF documentation relating to student/employer engagement, updating and making appropriate changes as required
- Complete weekly diary of planned activities indicating location and timings of visits to ensure maximum time spent in purposeful activity with students.
- Working closely with the Business Development team to promote College activity and recruit students.
- Build relationships with new as well as existing employers; forward prospective leads through to the Business Development team.
- Where appropriate and in liaison with the Business Development undertake specific promotional marketing activity, e.g. attending trade stands, careers events at schools, colleges and employers’ premises and other organised events.
- Encourage employer participation on Advisory Boards
Generic Business Support
Your duties may include, but will not be limited to:
- To support and contribute to the friendly and supportive ethos of the School/Department, particularly in communications with learners and staff
- To maintain the highest professional standards To participate on appraisal and staff development
- To treat colleagues with dignity and respect
- To demonstrate an understanding of the significance of equality of opportunity and diversity, and implement it in all aspects of your work
- To ensure a healthy and safe working environment at all times, and take reasonable care for your own safety and that of other College users
- To comply with all approved College policies and procedures Ability to travel to other College sites as and when required.
The above list is not exhaustive. The responsibilities and duties may vary from time to time without changing the character of the post. You will be expected to adopt a flexible approach to ensure the efficient and effective running of departments.Closing Date: Noon, Friday 15 June 2018 Interview Date: Thursday, 28 June 2018