Deputy Director, Civil Service Leadership Academy
The Deputy Director, Civil Service Leadership Academy (CSLA), supports the Principal in the strategic development of the Academy as it seeks to become the place for leadership learning in the Civil Service. The post holder will lead the leadership development strategy and standard setting for leadership across the Civil Service. The post holder is also responsible for the successful running of the CSLA, from design and development to delivery, evaluation and on-going improvement of the offer.
The DD, CSLA, will develop and maintain close working relationships with partners in professions, departments and other academies and colleges to create the very best leadership offer founded on a ‘leadership teaching leaders’ model.
The post holder will work closely with the DD, Learning Operations to ensure a professional, effective internal delivery model and expert service provision (including research & analysis and communications), to support the Academy as it moves to a new operating model in 2018.
The DD, CSLA, will be a member of the ODD&L senior leadership team and will deputise for the Principal of the Academy as appropriate.
1. Work with the newly appointed Principal of the Leadership Academy to develop a strategic plan and growth strategy for the Academy
2. Lead creation of leadership development strategy for the Civil Service, on behalf of the Government Chief People Officer (and head of HR profession)
3. Lead development of leadership and management standards for the Civil Service
4. Own a Leadership Academy curriculum development strategy that is innovative, agile and embraces the 70/20/10 model of learning
5. Embed a strong process of continuous improvement of the Leadership Academy and the below SCS leadership and management offer, drawing on evaluation and wider evidence
6. Establish and oversee appropriate value-add governance and reporting arrangements for the new Leadership Academy operating model, including reporting to the Leadership and Learning Board as sponsor group; be a senior advisor to Leadership and Learning Board members
7. Foster collaboration with partners across the Civil Service – departments, professions, other academies, HR expert services and Civil Service Group – to develop the strongest leadership development curriculum
8. Shape the development of a ‘leadership community of practice’ across the Civil Service
9. Lead team responsible for creating a Public Service Leadership Academy Taskforce (PSLA) (as announced in the November 2017 Budget) and supporting the Taskforce to determine the right role and remit for the PSLA
10. Manage curriculum product development budget, ensuring value for money for the taxpayer and best use of small development fund. The post holder will monitor budget spends, ensuring effective budget management at all times, and to provide robust and timely in-year financial analysis
11. Commission from analytical experts (CSHR analysis and evidence team) a strategic approach to leadership and management evaluation that: informs the continuous improvement of the Academy offer; drives refinement to the leadership development strategy; and demonstrates measurable impact of the Leadership Academy over time
12. Commission a strategic communications plan from the CSHR Communications team as an integral enabler of Leadership Academy growth
13. Led major programmes, such as the transition of the Leadership Academy from a programme model to an operational business unit
14. Provide leadership and management to a team of learning experts and the private office / secretariat function
15. The post holder will be a key member of the Senior Leadership Team for learning and the wider Civil Service HR Function. They will deputise for the Director as required, and represent the Learning Expert Service at key governance forums including the Performance and Risk Committee.