Finance Officer – Purchase Ledger (part time)
Job Title: Finance Officer – Purchase Ledger
Reports to: Head of Finance & Compliance
Supervised by: Finance Officer
London Contract: Permanent Hours: Part time, 22 to 25 hours per week – flexible patterns will be considered. Salary: £27,000 pro rata
The Finance Officer will play a vital role within the Finance and Compliance team. You will take ownership of the purchase ledger and manage documents from receipt in the online purchase system through to supplier payment. You will resolve issues with suppliers as they arise and maintain effective communications with suppliers. You will be responsible for accurately processing other transactions and inputting them into the accounting system, such as bank, petty cash and sales invoices. You will support the Finance team with other administrative tasks including month end closing. In addition, you will support the Governance, Legal & Compliance Manager with administration of Trustee meetings and supplier contracts.
Frontline uses (OCR) purchase invoice software to electronically input purchase ledger invoices into an online system for approval. This allows the Finance Officer role to focus on effectively managing the purchase ledger instead of spending time keying in invoices.
We are looking for a motivated individual with a high level of attention to detail, a commitment to Frontline’s aims and significant previous experience of purchase ledger management in a medium sized organisation. The successful applicant will also be organised and able to work effectively and within a team in a fast paced environment.
At Frontline, how you approach your work is just as important as what you do in your role. We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate the following competencies:
• Attention to detail: Able to peform financial tasks with accuracy and few errors and takes time to review details to ensure work is consistently accurate and to a high standard.
• Ownership: Able to take the lead to resolve issues, take responsibility for work and ensure that desired outcomes are achieved.
• Initiative & innovation: Consistently uses initiative to make recommendations, effectively solve problems and drive continuous improvement.
• Communication: Strong Interpersonal and communication skills. Able to build positive relationships and be assertive and persuasive in a respectful way.
• Collaboration: Consistently role models and reinforces collaboration. Demonstrates respect for others and consistently adopts an inclusive approach to build relationships.
Summary of responsibilities
• Manage documents within Frontline’s Purchase Invoice System (see above) to: o Ensure invoices are appropriately approved and paid on a timely basis o Resolve any issues with suppliers o Manage supplier set up o Ensure accurate account coding
• Process paper based payment requests and other transactions outside of Purchase Invoice System.
• Prepare accurate weekly payment runs using online banking software
• Take ownerships for the purchase ledger function, taking a lead on resolving all issues and ensuring it operates effectively
• Manage and reconcile the petty cash balances
• Process sales ledger invoices as directed and perform 1st stage credit control function
• Process bank account transactions
• Support with month end tasks as required
• Monitor and manage finance email inbox
• Developing systems and processes as appropriate
• Adhere to the organisation’s financial policies and assist other departments in doing the same
• Assist the external auditors during their fieldwork
Governance & Compliance
Support Governance, Legal and Compliance Manager by:
• Keep the purchase contracts register up to date and manage the storage of contracts
• Provide support for Board and Committee meetings, such as managing calendar invites.
• Provide occasional cover for reception at times agreed by the Head of Finance & Compliance.
• Provide ad hoc support to the Finance and Compliance team as required
Values and alignment
- Prepared to work in line with our values of being brave, showing respect, pioneering, keeping curious and always keeping in mind that what matters most is what works.
- You should be able to role model these values in all that you do and expect these of colleagues you work with. -
- A willingness and ability to be fully aligned to, and be an advocate for, Frontline’s purpose and theory of
change across all areas of work including a:
- focus on having the highest standards for recruiting top talent into social work including people who may not have considered a career in social work before, - belief that social work practice needs to improve so that it is more relational, purposeful and skilled and that clear models practice are central to this. - belief in the role leadership must play in improving social work at all levels and that rapid
improvement will sometimes require disruptive acts of leadership - approach to our Fellows (alumni) that celebrates, encourages and recognises individuals who are improving safety and stability for children whether they remain in social work or work outside of the profession - and a commitment that every child should have a safe and stable home and that this is best supported by social workers who work alongside families
Experience and knowledge
• Significant experience of purchase ledger management in a medium sized organisation, preferably a charity with complex account code structure
• Experience of online approval workflows
• Experience of purchase order systems
• Experience of developing and improving finance or administrative processes
• Good knowledge of basic bookkeeping principles
Characteristics and skills
• Attention to detail and ability to produce consistently accurate work to a high standard
• Excellent communication skills and the ability to apply these appropriately across a range of diverse stakeholders
• Skills in effective use of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Outlook and Word
• High level of organisation and ability to multi-task and prioritise
• Ability to manage own workload and show initiative to solve problems as they arise
• Ability to learn new systems and processes quickly
• Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team
Other desirable skills and background
• Maths and English GCSE at C grade or above, or qualified by experience
• AAT accounting qualification or equivalent (Desirable)
• Right to work in the UK
• Interest in, and commitment to the Frontline programme, mission and values
• This post is subject to an enhanced police check of previous criminal convictions with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS)
Please read the job specification attached.
Application Process: To apply for the role you will need to include;
1. Your Curriculum Vitae (CV) - (maximum 2 pages), along with a short statement outlining why
2. State why you want to work at Frontline and what skills you can bring to this role;
Applications should be received no later than Sunday 22 July, midnight. First-round Interviews will take place on 30 July and 2nd round on 2 August the following week.
If you have any questions or queries about this role or wish to discuss the position then please contact Chris Young, Head of Finance and Compliance, you will find our contact details on our site. Applications should be sent with the title ‘Finance Officer, Frontline’.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Apply for Finance Officer – Purchase Ledger (part time)
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly