Maths / English / ESOL Lecturer
HMP Bullingdon’s education department are looking for an experienced Generalist lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver Maths, English and ESOL to a diverse group of learners within the prison. As a Lecturer within our Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team, you will help to develop a strong Maths, English and ESOL programme that meets the needs of the learners, prison and Milton Keynes College.
As a Generalist Lecturer, you will be required to cover a wide range of subjects, which include the following: Maths, English, and ESOL along with other subjects. When you are not teaching you will be required to take part in workshops as part of an outreach programme.
This role will require a Generalist Lecturer cover for up to 9 teaching sessions per week.
This is an exciting opportunity for a dedicated lecturer / tutor / teacher to deliver high learner success, through effective teaching and delivery in Maths, English and ESOL. This vacancy would suit a highly motivated Generalist teacher, with a can do approach to education. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and creative lecturer, who can thrive upon working within a challenging yet rewarding environment, who can offer skills & knowledge to our learners and guide them throughout their courses.
Location: HMP Bullingdon (Bicester)
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: £18,015 - £32,578 per annum
Closing date: 23rd July 2018
Milton Keynes College rewards:
- 35 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
- Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
- Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
- Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
- 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
- Plus many more…
About HMP Bullingdon:
Bullingdon Community Prison is situated near the village of Arncott in Bicester, Oxon. HMP Bullingdon is a complex prison that has a number of functions. It is categorized as a local category B prison which a category C resettlement function. HMP Bullingdon has the capacity to hold 1114 offenders all serving a range of sentences from remand to life, with the average length of stay between 3 and 6 months.
The College works closely with our prison colleagues to deliver short to medium courses that help prepare learners for employment upon release. Courses include: English and Maths Functional Skills (Entry 2 to Level 2), ICT, Cookery, Hospitality, Business, Self-Employment, Painting & Decorating, Horticulture, Paving, Mentoring and Barbering.
As a successful candidate, you will:
- Hold a relevant qualification (level 3 or above).
- Hold a recognised teaching qualification (DTLLS, PGCE, Cert Ed) or willing to work towards
- Hold relevant assessor/verifier awards.
- Have teaching/training or vocational experience in relevant subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- Have a proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Have experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources
- Have experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Have knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- Have the ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- Have good IT skills and willing to develop further.
- Show accuracy and precision in written presentation.
- The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
More about the College:
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.