Hadoop Administrator - flexible employer
Permanent, Full time
What it’s about
Are you an experienced Hadoop or Linux Administrator?
Do you have experience with completing Software Design Lifecycle including design, development, testing and implementation complex systems?
If so the role of Hadoop administrator will allow you to work in a small team supporting all 4 of Cambridge Assessments business streams with archiving, analytics and reporting. As a Hadoop Administrator you will be working on Cambridge Assessments key systems including but not limited to Hadoop, SAS, Oracle, PowerBi, SQL and SAP.
The Hadoop administrator has sole responsibility of the administration of the Hadoop cluster and be capable of working closely with other technical team leads.
What you will be doing
You will be responsible for administering the Hadoop cluster by:
- Updating, configuring and installing Hadoop applications.
- Supporting production physical nodes and VMs.
- Configuration Management experience on Puppet as this is the preferred tool at Cambridge Assessment.
- Implementing version control (Unix, git, git preferred).
- Working with the monitoring teams to manage operating system utilities as well as server monitoring and diagnostic tools to troubleshoot server software and network issues within the Hadoop cluster.
- Working with network teams using your in depth knowledge of associated industry protocol standards such as: LDAP, DNS, TCP/IP, etc.
- Working with services to manage access to the cluster and data.
- Securing the cluster by using your knowledge of Kerberos, cross-realm authentication and Kerberized services.
- Employee good practices by using your security experience including SSL certificates, TLS, hardening, PEN tests, etc.
- Monitoring and adjusting load balances with in Hadoop cluster to ensure the system is working efficiently.
What we’re looking for
The successful candidate will need to be proficient at:
- Hands on experience installing, upgrading, configuring and supporting a Hadoop cluster
- Hadoop cluster capacity planning, performance tuning, cluster monitoring
- Adding / removing nodes to an existing Hadoop cluster
- Backup configuration and recovery from a NameNode failure
- Configure and manage the backup and disaster recovery for Hadoop data
- Experience in HDFS data storage and support for running map reduce jobs
- Installation and configuration of Ambari and Ambari metrics
- Installation and configuration of Ranger and Atlas and Knox
- Installation and configuration of YARN resource manager and Zookeeper
- Installation and configuration of Hive, Pig, Hbase and Solr
- Installation and configuration of Spark, SparkR, Sqoop and Oozie
- Hands on experience in analyzing log files for Hadoop and Hadoop services and finding root cause
They will need extensive experience with the following:-
- As a Linux administrator or Hadoop administrator
- Experience with complete Software Design Lifecycle including design, development, testing and implementation complex systems
- Experience monitoring and troubleshooting issues with Linux memory, CPU, OS, storage and network
- Excellent knowledge of key administration functions and impact on infrastructure, networks, firewalls and authentication
Technical Skills – (You will need to have 1 from each of the following)
- The following skills, abilities, certifications and 2 years experience supporting products running on Linux and/or Hadoop.
- Understanding of Hadoop components (i.e. HDFS, YARN, Zookeeper, Sqoop, Hive, Oozie, Zeppelin, Spark, Kafka, Storm etc) - you will be responsible for the Hadoop administration, configuration changes and upgrades.
- Experience with supporting production VMs – as the Hadoop cluster is made up of on site physical nodes and VM’s.
- Configuration Management experience (puppet preferred)
- Version control experience (Unix, git, git preferred).
- Proficient with operating system utilities as well as server monitoring and diagnostic tools to troubleshoot server software and network issues.
- Good knowledge of associated industry protocol standards such as: LDAP, DNS, TCP/IP, etc.
- Understanding of Enterprise level services - Active Directory – working with service teams to manage access to the cluster and data.
- Understanding of Kerberos, cross-realm authentication and Kerberized services – securing the cluster.
- Security experience including SSL certificates, TLS, hardening, PEN tests, etc.
- Must have load balancing skills to ensure that the system is working efficiently.
Who we are
Cambridge Assessment is Europe's largest assessment group, incorporating three major awarding bodies. It plays a leading role in researching, developing and delivering assessment to eight million candidates in 170 countries every year. The Group is a department of the University of Cambridge and a not-for-profit organisation.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer a comprehensive package of benefits to help with your life both inside and outside of work:
- Generous contributory pension
- 28 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Annual performance related bonus and increases (discretionary)
- Enhanced maternity/paternity pay and childcare voucher scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Employee discount and cash back scheme at 2,500 retailers
- Cycle scheme
- Season Ticket Loan
- Subsidised staff restaurants
- Support for professional qualifications
- Discounted access to the University of Cambridge Sport Centre, along with various other local gyms.
We know that diversity of thinking, backgrounds and approaches leads to innovation and creates an atmosphere where everyone’s contribution is valued. As well as wanting to create diverse teams, we also value diversity in the way our people approach their work. Work/life balance is important to us at Cambridge Assessment and we offer our colleagues a range of flexible working options according to the needs of the business and the individual, so please let us know of any flexible working requirements when applying and we can see how we can support you.
The closing date for receipt of applications is 23 September 2018 and interviews will be held in the week following.
If you’re successful at interview stage we will ask you to undergo background screening (carried out by Credence Background Screening Ltd), to ensure that all information provided to us is accurate. We wish you all the very best with your application.
CAMBRIDGE ASSESSMENT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER