Senior and Residential Support Workers
An excellent opportunity has arisen for Senior and Residential Support Workers to join our team at the Atkinson Secure Children’s Home based in Exeter. We are looking to grow and strengthen our existing team, starting salary is dependant on your experience and qualification and is related to the relevant job description and person specification.
You will work as part of a small, supportive team to provide a safe, caring, stimulating and secure environment for children and young people who have experienced significant trauma and need to be secured because they are a risk to themselves or others. You will work closely to support the children and young people, frequently on a 1 to 1 staffing basis, to carry out personal care and to oversee their welfare and health.
The nature of this job can be challenging due to the level of conflict, violence and aggression leading to physical interventions which is why we provide a comprehensive induction and on-going training, development and support but this work is highly rewarding.
Atkinson is a Devon County Council Secure Children's Home which provides a safe and therapeutic environment for young people (aged 10-17 years) with emotional and behavioural difficulties. The children and young people we care for are often in crisis and require intensive support. The Home is graded by Ofsted as 'Good' and with your support we are aiming to become 'Outstanding'. For further information about the Home please visit: https://www.atkinsondevon.org/
Due to the needs of our young people, you will have experience of working with young people who have complex needs and present with challenging behaviours. If you have the below skills and qualities we would like to hear from you:
• Excellent communication skills with an ability to remain calm in difficult situations particularly when working in a fast-paced environment
• Commitment and a ‘can do’ attitude
• A team player able to build positive relationships with children and young people
• Empathy and understanding for causes of behaviour
• Emotional resilience and self-awareness
• Able to work AM and PM shifts and every other weekend
If you are keen to develop and progress we can support you with your personal development and fast track you from Residential Support Worker to Senior Residential Support Worker with potential opportunities to become a Team Leader as and when opportunities arise.
Working for Devon County Council delivers all the benefits you would expect from a large employer including:
• Salary - £18,870 to £25,463 pro rata depending on skills and experience (*you will receive an unsocial hours payment depending on your hours and a secure allowance of £752.34 per annum) plus sleep-in allowances.
• Generous annual leave
• Local Government Pension Scheme and enhanced maternity, paternity, adoption and sick pay
• Excellent free training opportunities including level 3 Diploma in Residential Care, Restorative Approaches and Dyadic Developmental Psychotherapy
• Incremental pay increases
• Excellent career opportunities within Atkinson or Devon County Council
• On site accommodation at a reduced monthly rental amount may be available
To apply for this role online please click the 'apply' button.
To find out more about the role and recruitment process please refer to the Factsheet along with the job description and person specification.
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and vulnerable adults, and expect all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
This role requires a DBS disclosure.
This role requires the ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence and fluency in English.
Personal data we collect from you will be processed in accordance with the Applicant privacy notice