Lecturer in Animal Management (peripatetic)
Job title: Lecturer in Animal Management (peripatetic)
Location: Enfield but travel will be required to all centres
Salary: £21,342 - £36,528 per annum inclusive of London Weighting
Permanent, Full time
Capel Manor College is London’s only Specialist College for land-based studies and an internationally renowned learning resource for all those interested in Horticulture, Animal Management, Saddlery, Arboriculture, Floristry, Garden Design, Countryside and the Environment.
The Lecturer in Animal Management will be responsible for Contributing to the teaching programme of the College including Level 3 BTEC Science, potentially across its centres through London as appropriate in liaison with college personnel.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Delivering and co-ordinating the assessment of a range of subjects related to Animal Management subjects to appropriate examination body standards, including both centre- and work-based learning. Competence in the care and management of a wide range of animal species would be an advantage.
- Acting as a Course Manager including minuting of meetings, carrying out tutorials with students, recording results and providing management information.
- Providing specialist advice relating to animal care activities and developments.
- Contributing to management of delegated budgets in accordance with College policies and procedures.
- Supporting curriculum planning, development and support within the School.
- Researching and the production of course materials.
- Taking shared responsibility for health and welfare of the College’s animal stock, including contribution to weekend, holiday and emergency cover rotas as required.
- Liaising with animal care workers, other technicians and internal staff with regard to the provision of practical student activities.
- Liaising with external bodies, visiting speakers and representatives of legal welfare organisations.
- Ensuring that all requirements and regulations relating to health and safety are adhered to at all times. Responsible for ensuring that the health and safety of students is maintained whilst undertaking practical sessions.
- Providing specialist input into the development of new courses, modules, services or activities within the college.
- Any other duties of a similar nature as required by the Head of Animal Care & Saddlery.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- HND, degree or similar in a science or animal related discipline.
- Teaching qualification (support will be given to gain accreditation.)
- A commitment to and enthusiasm for the teaching and guidance of students at all levels.
- Effective communication/organisation skills and ability to work on own initiative and as part of a team
- Sound administrative skills.
- Familiarity with Information Learning Technology applications.
What’s in it for you?
- Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
- Access to TPA Pension Scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Superb staff development opportunities
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Capel Manor College aims to employ a workforce which reflects the community it serves. Therefore applications from minority groups are welcomed. Where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on ‘Apply’ and complete an online application form.
Closing date for applications is 19th August 2018