Paid Intern - Learning Support Assistant
The purpose of the role is to ensure retention and achievement of students receiving Additional Learning Support including LLD and Disability support across college. The post holder will help ensure that students are supported to develop Literacy, Numeracy and Vocational and Employability Skills and progress to positive outcomes.
As an intern you will be expected to fulfil the duties of supporting learners with LLDD full time alongside completing 30 credits from LASER Qualifications that support you in your role as a Learning Support Assistant. As an intern you will be allocated a Senior LSA that you will meet with throughout the week to oversee your qualifications and ensure all coaching is completed in this time.
The following key tasks and responsibilities summarise the main aspects of the job. They will be reviewed periodically and amended by agreement to ensure the effective operation of the College and to foster development of the individual
- Supporting teachers in developing the literacy, numeracy and employability skills of students either individually or in varied sized groups.
- Supporting students across the college with learning difficulties and disabilities or with behavioral and social problems, in a variety of settings.
- Provide personal care (PC) assistance to learners either as second only and complete a competency booklet provided by your senior mentor each time you oversee PC. Undertake and apply skills via training including practical manual handling training which includes hoist training, as well as a verbal training session to go over health and safety whilst assisting a learner with person care - this will be included during your training week and will be monitored throughout the internship ensuring competency checks are completed by senior mentor.
- To plan and agree with teachers learner support requirements for lessons.
- Assisting in the student assessment process in order to accurately identify learning support needs, and to help develop creative approaches to providing learning support for those students who require it.
- Working with teachers on developing effective teaching and learning strategies in relation to individual students with emotional and behavioral problems, and learning difficulties and disabilities
- Preparing kinaesthetic materials and equipment for individual students and groups
- Recording the information needed to track students’ progress against targets for achievement in Individual Learning Plans, to monitor progress in achieving positive outcomes and to record post course destinations. Intern to oversee and shadow this process before taking on the full responsibility.
- Preparing reports on student progress and areas for concern( including deterioration in attendance, punctuality and behaviour) To be overseen by senior coach and monitored.
- Helping to promote the use of ICT to advance students’ learning.
- Encouraging students to become more independent and to take responsibility for their own learning
- Assisting with enrichment activities and providing lunch time cover where appropriate
- Ensuring that the College Diversity, Safeguarding, Data Protection and other statements are incorporated into all activities, and that breaches are reported to the appropriate line manager
· Performing any other duties as required by the line manager and that are commensurate with the grade of the post