BBC Design + Engineering Career Returners Programme
Are you looking to return to work after an extended career break? Would you like to join an organisation that is driving the reinvention of the media while developing your technical skills in a flexible and supportive environment? If so, the BBC Career Returners Programme could be right for you.
The BBC is delighted to partner with Women Returners to offer this pilot programme in our Design + Engineering department, to support women and men who have taken extended career breaks of two years or more back into suitable roles. Successful applicants will be offered six months employment, with the possibility of a permanent role at the end.
What can you expect from the BBC Career Returners Programme?
- You will work on a paid placement of 6 months, starting in January 2019, with the opportunity to apply for permanent positions afterwards
- Opportunities with teams in London, Salford, Glasgow and Cardiff
- We will provide you with any additional training you need in your role to help get you up to speed. You’ll also receive coaching support from Women Returners to help you transition successfully back into the workplace
- Flexible working options, such as part-time hours and occasional home-working, are available with some roles
- You will you be working on amazing projects and cutting-edge technologies surrounded by a team of like-minded professionals from whom you can learn and grow
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for talented individuals who have been on a career break for 2 or more years, for childcare, eldercare or other reasons. You may have been working on a self-employed or small-scale basis to fit around your other commitments or have not done any paid work for a number of years.
Successful candidates will have prior mid to senior level experience in any of the following roles, meeting the essential criteria outlined:
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team
Technical Project Managers
- Experience in agile project management in a software development context.
- Hands-on team experience practising Scrum, Kanban, Lean software techniques.
- Experience of working in the technology sector as a Project Manager
- Demonstrable experience of working as a business analyst within an agile development team
- Can demonstrate being comfortable working with both technical, and non-technical stakeholders to gather product requirements.
- Some experience of successfully leading projects which transform technology and business processes within your specialism
- Data and an evidence-based approach to decision making with a creative and driven approach to problem-solving
- Able to convey complex information across multiple audiences, including senior and external partners.
Digital Product Managers
- Demonstrable experience in the delivery management and ongoing improvement of consumer-facing products
- Demonstrable experience of working within multidisciplinary agile delivery teams to deliver successful and impactful product development
- An understanding of the relevant technologies and practices, and software engineering processes and practices.
The deadline for applications is 30 September 2018. Applicants selected for an interview will be informed after the closing date and interviews will take place in October and early November.