Senior Delivery Manager – Data Science
Flexible working hours
Offices based in Taunton, Somerset
About this role
We are looking for someone to nurture & manage our existing team of high performing data engineers and data scientist’s team. You will be responsible for delivering exciting new digital services across our organisation.
You are not expected to code or train neural networks, instead you are expected to understand the principles, complexities and limitations of these fields whilst being evangelical about the emerging possibilities, then drive these innovations through the team.
In this role you will:
- be working for a government organisation which is 'up for transformation'
- be working in a brand-new purpose-built building
- be working flexibly with agile teams
- be empowered to deliver
- be working in what will soon be one of the best places to work in the South West
- You will work closely with our Head of Data Science to ensure we deliver our future vision of the UKHO. We are world class providers of marine & geospatial data, find out more on our site.
Working across the whole organisation you’ll be enabling collaborative working with the Data Engineering and Data Science practices. You will be critical to embedding data science and data engineering fully at the UKHO and transforming the way we work.
You’ll be responsible for maintaining collaborations and relationships across government and with third parties that may be contracted to deliver specific capabilities or research.
The successful person will work across the whole office in a matrix management approach under a smart working ethos sharing the working space with different teams on a daily basis. The successful person will have line management responsibilities for senior data science and engineering staff.
Your average day may involve the following:
- Talking to colleagues across the business identifying data science and data engineering opportunities, objectively assessing business value and prioritising against the backlog
- Planning and supporting the development of the data engineering and data science practices, ensuring the teams have the tools, data and domain knowledge they need.
- Maintaining and building relationships relevant to data science and engineering across government.
Responsibilities will include:
- Support the Data Science and Engineering practices and through collaborative working, coaching and shared projects, to deliver significant change to the wider business.
- Line manage and develop, through coaching and directed development plans, the members of the Data Science and Engineering practices
- Support recruitment of the data scientist and data engineers and provide oversight for the development of data skills more broadly at the UKHO.
- Communicating the data science and data engineering work across the organisation and managing the demand on the teams.
- Take technical direction from the tech leads (data science and engineering) and develop a delivery plan.
- Collaborate with external bodies for capability building and defining team structure.
- Maintain knowledge and understanding of data science and data engineering.
We'll assess you against these competencies during the selection process:
Solid detailed knowledge of big data and data science technologies and techniques and with this knowledge the ability to identify and communication business opportunities to a variety of audiences
Experience of building, leading and managing successful multi-disciplinary teams (Collaborating and partnering)
Experience of delivery management across multiple teams in an agile environment, to deliver data science or data engineering solutions (Delivering at Pace)
Demonstrated evidence of an elevated level of emotional intelligence and behavioural understanding with the ability to bridge the gap between the business and technology teams (Leading and Communication)
Engagement in relevant networks and experience of talking at conferences and other events (Collaborating and partnering)
How to apply and interview process
Please submit a CV and a competency statement, which details (with examples) how you demonstrate the competencies listed above.
The skills identified above will be used at both short listing and interview stage, along with the CV. Please limit your examples to around of 250 words for each criterion.
As an employer committed to equality of opportunity, we short-list solely using information relevant to the assessment process.
Apply for Senior Delivery Manager – Data Science
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly