Casual Animal Carers
Casual Animal Carers
Contract: Variable Hour
Enfield, Brooks Farm, Gunnersbury Park, Crystal Palace
National Minimum Wage per hour plus Holiday Pay
Capel Manor College is the only College in London that aims to deliver outstanding and inspirational land-based learning opportunities across the Greater London region. Our most recent Ofsted report rated the College “good” with good effectiveness of leadership and management. Aspiring to excellence, the College has an excellent reputation for quality, is financially strong and has continuous growth in student numbers. Fundamental to the College’s forward-thinking strategy is support for the environment and food supply in Greater London and the southeast.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for casual animal care workers across all of our sites.
The successful candidate will be undertaking the husbandry of our large range of animals including cleaning, feeding, watering, exercising & medical care. They will be communicating with the encounters officers/technicians and Animal Management Team Leaders in order to inform them of any problems with the animals. They will also be dealing with the public during open days and throughout the summer months.
The ideal candidate will be
- Providing the day-to-day routine care of the College’s animal stock to include cleaning out of accommodation, provision of feed, water, bedding, nesting material, and daily health checks.
- Completing records relating to routine animal care, reporting any abnormalities or problems to Encounters Officers/Line Manager as appropriate.
- Storage, security and stock control of feed, bedding and other consumables.
- Ensuring high standards of hygiene and cleanliness in all animal areas and associated storage and service areas.
- Ensuring the correct disposal of all waste from the animal areas.
- The exercising, training and handling of animal stock as appropriate and as required.
- Ensuring that all requirements and regulations relating to health and safety are adhered to at all times.
- Maintain general gardening duties within animal areas to ensure that the areas are kept at a professional standard.
- Liaising internally with other staff as appropriate with regard to animal activities, events and co-operating to maintain continuity of care during weekends and holidays.
- Any other reasonable duties of a comparable nature as required by the Line Manager.
- Promotes and implement all College policies, particularly those which refer to health & safety, equality of opportunity, maintaining standards of student behaviour and Safeguarding young people and vulnerable adults.
- Participates in College programmes of staff appraisal and continuing professional development.
- Develop effective working relationships internally and with external partners.
- Comply with the requirement for the General Data Protection Regulations.
- Undertakes other duties as may reasonably be required in the interests of the efficient functioning of the College.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Level 2 qualification or higher in an animal care discipline
- Experience of caring for a range of rodents, reptiles, birds and farm-stock on a day-to-day basis
- Knowledge of correct hygiene and cleaning procedures for Animal Unit and associated areas
- Awareness of Health and Safety issues with regard to own duties and the Animal Unit
What’s in it for you?
Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
- Access to the LGPS Pension Scheme
- Employee assistance programme
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
Closing date: This is a rolling advert.
Interviews: Interviews will be held on a monthly bases.