About the College
Worthing College is a very popular college with over 1450 students. Our recent Ofsted inspection judged us to be ‘Good’ in every respect. Our mission is to inspire, build confidence and prepare our students to live the life they want to live and is underpinned by our strong desire to become outstanding in the near future. Above all Worthing College is a very friendly place with a strong sense of purpose, where teaching, learning and student success are second to none.
Background to the Post
A part time Library Assistant is required to support the work of the Library Services team in providing an outstanding service to students and staff at Worthing College.
The Library is a vital component in supporting the learning of all college students including ESOL, Level 2, Level 3, Adult Learners, and our cohort of Foundation degree students. The Library occupies an attractive position on the top floor of the college, and has a Silent Study area, IT facilities, and a careers centre. Resources include approximately 12,000 books, journals, DVDs and over 50 laptop computers for students to borrow.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Library Assistant will be responsible for:-
- Assisting students and staff in fully exploiting Library and online resources. Normally this is on a one-to-one basis, but can include working with small groups.
- Maintaining appropriate standards of student behaviour for study in the Library.
- Issuing and returning resources, including laptop computers, processing overdue material using the library management system.
- Maintaining a register of students attending supervised study.
- Routine organisation of books, journals, DVDs and IT resources, including shelving and tidying, processing new materials and withdrawing old stock.
- Maintaining the computer based catalogue of the Library, including inputting and withdrawing data.
- Promoting library resources to support cross college themes and campaigns.
- Working effectively with the Library Team and other teams to contribute to the team plan and culture of excellence and to ensure that the College offers an outstanding service to students, staff and other stakeholders.
- Participating fully in appropriate professional development, meetings and planning to meet the needs of the team and the college.
- Attending staff meetings, briefings and team meetings and participating fully in discussions about work.
- Any other duties reasonably delegated by the Principal.
The postholder will be based within Library team with strong links to the IT Services team. The person appointed should be able to carry out all these functions unsupervised. A friendly customer-orientated manner is essential in meeting the needs of our students and staff.