Lecturer - Offender Learning
Are you an enthusiastic and talented teacher/trainer who is looking to transform lives through learning?
Milton Keynes College Offender Learning team in the West Midlands region are seeking experienced Lecturers and Trainers to cover a variety of courses within a diverse curriculum. We currently have both supply and permanent opportunities across the West Midlands region as a whole.
This is an exciting time for prison education and this is a great opportunity to experience prison teaching as a sessional tutor covering variable hours or as a permanently employed lecturer. As a sessional worker you would have the opportunity to work at multiple sites - Locations of all the prisons we work with can be found on our website.
Prison education runs all year round, all day Monday-Thursday and generally until lunchtime on a Friday. Delivery hours can range from 5.5-6.5 per day split across 2 long lessons, within an overall 08:00-17:00 day (please note regime times do vary slightly from site to site).
We will be holding a careers event at HMP Birmingham for candidates with appropriate skills/experience.
Please attach your CV to express an interest in this event and we will be in contact.
HMP Birmingham is a busy local remand and Category C training prison situated in Winson Green, Birmingham.
Education Programmes are developed in partnership with the prison to offer a responsive, flexible and relevant curriculum, which not only meets the needs of our students but offers them the skills to help gain sustainable employment upon release.
We believe in offering a high quality provision that will give back the confidence and skills our students need to achieve their potential and reduce reoffending.
Currently we would be very interested to hear from candidates who are experts in any of the following areas and able to travel to HMP Birmingham
- Functional Skills delivering up to Level 2 (English/Maths/IT)
- Business delivering up to Level 2
- Multi skills / Construction areas – delivering up to Level 2
- Personal Social Development (PSD)/Employability
- Creative/Performing Arts - E.g. experience in singing/drama/poetry
- You will be a team player with excellent communication skills both written and verbal. Experience embedding Maths, English, E&D and Employability is essential in order to successfully deliver the curriculum.
More about the rewards
- Amazing discounts with NUS card or Blue Light Card , ranging from Eating Out, Shopping and Fashion, Health and Fitness, Music, Technology, Travel and Entertainment
- Access to an employee wellbeing platform with options to book free activities such as yoga, relaxation, boot camp, personal training and a health and wellbeing news hub
- Access to Teachers Pension Scheme with generous employer contributions
- Tax free childcare scheme
- Access to Continued Professional Development, including professional qualifications and a variety of training courses
- Save up to 32% off all bikes through our Cycle To Work Scheme
- 24 hours per day, 365 days per year Employee Assistant Support Programme
- Plus many more…
As a successful candidate you will have…
- A relevant degree or equivalent vocational qualification
- A minimum of a PTLLS or other teaching qualification (PTLLS, DTTLS, PGCE, Cert Ed)
- Teaching/training or vocational experience in a relevant discipline/subject area and relevant up-to-date knowledge.
- A proven track record of managing and supporting diverse groups of learners through nationally accredited programmes.
- Experience of identifying, developing and sharing innovative and creative teaching resources.
- Experience of working with students who may have little experience of education and training (desirable).
- Knowledge of current curriculum and accreditation developments within Further Education and specific subject area(s).
- The ability to teach creatively, adapting to the needs of a variety of learners and willing to explore new teaching and learning strategies.
- A good level of IT literacy and willing to develop further.
- Accuracy and precision in written presentation.
Location: HMP Birmingham Hours: Supply / Permanent Opportunities Salary: Supply - £23.52 (per delivery hour), Permanent - £18,015-£32,578 per annum (Full Time) Closing Date: 19th October 2018 Careers Event: Tuesday 30th October 2018 - invite only event
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience. The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3,000 16 – 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Jobs at Milton Keynes College - Whatever your Direction
Milton Keynes College is a committed “safer recruitment” employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.
We want to develop a more diverse workforce and positively welcome applications from all sections of the community
Milton Keynes College is committed to promoting the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore require a DBS check.
The College is proactively committed to Sustainable Development through the learning opportunities it delivers, its management of resources and its engagement with communities