Horticulture Operative Apprenticeships
Job title: Horticulture Operative Apprenticeships – within Gardens/Estates
Salary: National Minimum Wage plus £1947 London Weighting
Full Time, Fixed Term Contract for 2 years
Capel Manor College is London’s only Specialist College for land-based studies and an internationally renowned learning resource for all those interested in Horticulture, Animal Management, Saddlery, Arboriculture, Floristry, Garden Design, Countryside and the Environment.
The Horticulture Operative Apprenticeship will undertake necessary day-to-day duties maintaining and developing a comprehensive plant collection including pruning and cultural operations.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Carry out weeding, forking, hoeing, mulching and fertilising.
- Carry out day-to-day maintenance of fine turf areas including treatment for pests, diseases and weed control where qualified.
- Carry out pest and disease control on various plants and herbicide treatments* of lawns (* subject to attaining qualification as part of training)
- Undertake the seasonal planting of trees, shrubs and bedding plants to a scale plan.
- Assist the propagator in the production and cultivation of plants.
- Undertake informative pruning and management of low level trees and shrubs.
- Carry out various land-based horticultural and environmental projects (soft and hard landscaping).
- Assist in the setting up and display arrangements for shows and major exhibitions e.g. Chelsea.
- Care for and maintain footpaths and walkways.
- Other gardening duties such as mowing lawns, leaf clearance, and hedge cutting.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Previous experience working outside
- A strong interest in horticulture
- Level 2 / GCSE in A-C in Maths and English
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Willing to be trained on a number of horticultural machines
- Ability to work to deadlines
What’s in it for you?
- Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
- Access to LGPS Pension Scheme
- Employee assistance programme
- Superb staff development opportunities
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Therefore applications from minority groups are welcomed. Where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification, they will be short-listed for interview.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on ‘Apply’ and complete an online application form.
Closing date for applications is 4th November 2018