BEIS Experienced Entrant Programme
We are BEIS
What is the BEIS Experienced Entrant Programme?
At the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) there are a variety of areas where you can make a real difference to the development of policies that will have an impact on the UK, Europe and the world for decades to come.
We are looking for outstanding candidates who can demonstrate leadership potential to join our Experienced Entrant Programme. The Programme is targeted at candidates with relevant work experience who are looking to change, restart or progress their careers in policy within BEIS. The programme will entail two 12-month placements, two years in total, in different policy areas, and will offer specialist development opportunities outside of those offered to a standard SEO.
What we’re looking for
As an Experienced Entrant, you will join our Department as a Senior Executive Officer (SEO). Across your designated portfolio, you will lead on policy, strategy and relationship management, developing solutions that are fit-for-purpose.
Entering as an SEO, we expect you to have the maturity to lead on certain policy areas, guiding your colleagues in their work and acting as a representative for the department. We look for individuals that work effectively in teams, collaborating with a range of different stakeholders in order to deliver high quality advice and services.
You should be able to:
• Work autonomously and take responsibility for a specific policy area to develop new policies and legislation.
• Take the initiative to conduct independent research and analysis to tackle problems, supporting your conclusions with solid, robust evidence.
• Lead on policy areas with confidence and maturity
• Be intellectually curious and willing to ask questions, creatively exploring alternative approaches to the challenges at hand.
• Demonstrate resilience to changing/uncertain environments
• Communicate effectively, both verbally and through clear, succinct written mediums, to ensure the team works collaboratively to produce the best results
• Offer clear, constructive advice on the best way to tackle challenges
• Have excellent numerical, analytical and written skills
This is a phenomenal opportunity for proactive individuals with the drive to take the lead in seeing a project through to completion. With meaningful experience in a policy environment (or with relevant experience and knowledge that can be applied to the above areas), you should be politically astute, and keen to contribute to securing the best future for the British people.
If you are interested in the above, but don’t yet feel you have developed sufficient experience, you may be interested in applying to the BEIS Graduate Development Programme instead - click apply below and follow the relevant links.
Our Learning and Development Offer
As a BEIS Experienced Entrant you have demonstrated strong leadership potential and will benefit from learning and development above that of a standard SEO, with a view to accelerated progression.
- All BEIS Experienced Entrants will have the choice of either will completing a Level 4 Policy Apprenticeship or a Level 5 Leadership and Management Apprenticeship
- The Policy Apprenticeship is an exciting new Apprenticeship which has just been approved for delivery, which will give you the tools to perform exceptionally in a Policy role.
- The Leadership Apprenticeship takes 18 months to complete and is expected to take 20% of your working time. It will give you the qualifications, skills and grounding to be able to become an outstanding manager through effective leadership practices at a higher level.
- Induction week: This will be an exciting introduction to working in Policy at BEIS, and an opportunity to get to know the 2019 cohort of BEIS Experienced Entrants. You can expect an introduction to working in Whitehall and Parliament, writing briefs, running workshops, talks from senior leaders, and much more.
- Action learning sets: Action Learning Sets (ALS) are small groups of 6-8 people who meet regularly to discuss and share current challenges and issues from their current role. The set discuss, share support and suggest action to address the issues.
- Regular Cohort Meetings – to get to know your cohort better, train, and share insight and challenges.
- You will also be given first access to a range of exciting development opportunities within BEIS, such as seminars, interviewing, and volunteering opportunities.
Progression and Rotation
While at BEIS you will undertake two placements of one year. These will be in two of the 7 different Groups within BEIS. This will give you a breadth of experience of external exposure, working with ministers and Cross-Government policy working.
At the end of the scheme, you will be supported in your application to a Grade 7 role in BEIS (currently £51,300 p/a).
At BEIS, we work to deliver the Government’s vision at a time of momentous change. BEIS is a new department at the heart of the Government’s agenda, with an aim to deliver an economy that works for everyone.
In your role at BEIS, you could be directly involved in pivotal projects such as preparing for the UK’s departure from the European Union, leading the way to a low carbon future, or creating an economy which boosts productivity and earning power throughout the UK.
There are a broad range of exciting opportunities available across the department in priority policy. Entrants on our talent programmes will undertake placements in two of the different policy groups across BEIS, which are currently:
• EU Exit & Analysis
• Energy & Security
• Market Frameworks
• Business & Science
• Energy Transformation & Clean Growth
A learning environment where it is safe to ask questions, receive feedback and self-motivated learning is a key part of fostering this culture. Our employees receive ongoing support and encouragement from the start of their career with BEIS. From leadership potential to empowering under-represented groups with fairer opportunities, there will be something here for you.
• The Programme is targeted at candidates with relevant work experience who are looking to change, restart or progress their careers in policy within BEIS.
• At least 5 GCSEs at grade C and above, or the new grade 4 and above, including English Language and Maths, or equivalent.
• The Right to Work in the UK.
We are dedicated to equal opportunity and are committed to fairness and ensuring diversity and inclusion (D&I) throughout our recruitment processes and while you work for us. From policy development to Directorate Diversity pledges, D&I is an integral part of BEIS’s core values.