Rent and Service Charge Officer
As a Rent and Service Charge Officer you will need a ‘can do’ approach to provide an excellent service to all Origin Housing residents by ensuring that rents and service charges are accurately budgeted, recorded, charged fairly and reported in accordance with legislation and agreements.
Rent & Service Charges:
· Instruct and advise on service charge implications of new housing development designs. Attend new scheme meetings both internally and on site to ensure a clear understanding of the scheme to take forward to the estimate setting and future management.
· Act as a Business Partner for other areas of the business, supporting them to produce service charge estimates for new schemes, collating and interpreting all legal documentation to ensure service charges are set in accordance with the same.
- Lead the delivery of a comprehensive Depreciation and Sinking Fund register with the apportionment and monitoring of service charge accounts. Maintaining asset list through liaison with identified stakeholders.
· Analyses and validates data from various source systems and spreadsheets in order to prepare annual statements of accounts and annual service charge estimates for all properties managed by Origin Housing, ensuring compliance with legislation and agreements.
· Ensure that charges for future cyclical and major maintenance are properly accounted for in the charges to Leaseholders in accordance with lease provisions, legislation and best practices
· Lead the setting of rents for all tenures, ensuring that statutory obligations are adhered to.
· Manage the registration of all Secure Rents, ensuring they are completed accurately in accordance with legislation and submitted by the due date and that the amounts registered are applied correctly.
· Validate actual costs for all residential stock with a variable service charge, identifying investigate and resolve any discrepancies. Prepare and issue reconciliation statement of accounts, complying with agreements, leases and current legislation.
Ensure existing reserve/sinking funds are up to date and accurately recorded, and notify residents of
· balances following the annual reconciliation.
· Liaise with external auditors and lead on resolving any queries.
· Lead the periodical monitoring of service charge accounts throughout the financial year.
· Annalise data, identify trends, reports key issues and take action to maximise service chargeable income.
- Prepare accurate statistical records, presentations and reports as requested by Head of Service and present these to the business at key times in the service charge year.
· Manage and monitor contracts with 3rd party managing agents to ensure that costs incurred are genuine, provide value for money and that services are being delivered to a satisfactory standard.
· Provide Leasehold guidance to the association when required ensuring your advice is compliant with legislation and covenant of the lease.
· Attend First-tier Tribunal hearings and resident events and collate and prepare documentation to present at hearings/events, as required.
· Complete monthly reconciliation of rent and service charge income budgets, reporting and providing a full explanation for any variances to the Rents and Service Charge Manager.
· Prepare the rent and service charge income budgets in line with the associations Budget Setting procedure and timetable.
· Prepare Orchard Housing System for annual charge setting process by identify any discrepancies and cleanse data.
· Maintain and amend structures within the Orchard Service Charge System in line with Tenancy Agreements, Leases and Statutory Obligations, in order to facilitate accurate and appropriate apportionment of charges.
· Complete the periodic Financial Management System (FMS) batch processing reconciling cost against financial accounting system (SUN).
· Lead the response to any rents and service charges related complaints or queries from customers ensuring that the customer experience is positive, professional and within set timescales, with reference to current service charge legislation and reading and interpreting legal documentation to ensure the accuracy of responses.
· Work in partnership with internal departments to investigate and respond promptly and accurately to queries, complaints or challenges regarding rents and service charges ensuring that the customers experience is positive, professional and within set timescales
· To be responsible for the production of information for residents with regard to rent and service charges. Participate in any related consultation and respond to queries directly or in liaison with colleagues.
- Actively engage with internal and external stakeholders to deliver a high standard service. Work with resident groups to ensure rent and service charge review notices and annual service charge statements are set out in plain English and in a clear and transparent way.
· To carry out any other duties requested by the Rent & Service Charges Manager in order to achieve the team and departmental objectives
· Contribute to effective team working and provide appropriate cover for colleagues as required
· To provide a comprehensive and proactive customer focused service
· To support your own personal development by attending training events as required
· To comply with the Association’s health and safety policies
· To comply with the Association’s Code of Conduct by behaving in a professional manner at all times
· To demonstrate commitment to valuing diversity and upholding the Association’s equal opportunities policy at all times