Lecturer in Horticulture
Capel Manor College is the only College in London that aims to deliver outstanding and inspirational land-based learning opportunities across the Greater London region. Our most recent Ofsted report rated the College “good” with good effectiveness of leadership and management. Aspiring to excellence, the College has an excellent reputation for quality, is financially strong and has continuous growth in student numbers. Fundamental to the College’s forward-thinking strategy is support for the environment and food supply in Greater London and the southeast.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a temporary Lecturer in Horticulture at our Enfield site. This is a temporary casual post to cover sickness absence within the School of Horticulture & Landscaping. Duration of the role is anticipated to be approximately 2 months, or possibly more.
The successful candidate will be delivering and assessing (to the appropriate examination body standards across Levels 1 to 3) a range of subjects related to Horticulture, including but not limited to Working in the horticulture industry, Horticultural business practices, Commercial gardening and landscaping, Using turf in landscaping, Show build preparation and project management, Construction of hard-landscaped surfaces.
The ideal candidate will:
- Deliver to our full-time students at Level 2 and Level 3 and to adults on a part-time Level 2 Hard Landscaping Gardener programme.
- Take responsibility for learner progress monitoring & tracking, Individual Learning Plans and holding regular tutorials.
- Provide specialist advice and guidance relating to horticulture activities and developments.
- Support curriculum planning, development and support within the School.
- Research and produce course materials to meet the needs of all learners.
- Develop materials for the college VLE (Moodle @Capel) which are interactive and engaging for all learners and that also enable us to be more efficient in the delivery of programme units.
- Liaise with horticulture practical instructors, technicians and internal staff with regard to the provision of practical learner activities.
- Ensure that all requirements and regulations relating to health and safety are adhered to at all times.
- Be responsible for ensuring that the health and safety of learner are maintained whilst undertaking practical sessions.
This post is subject to an enhanced DBS disclosure and barring list check as it is within regulated activity due to the college being defined as a ‘specified place’. The College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff to share this commitment.
Where applicants indicate they have a disability and meet the essential criteria in the person specification they will be shortlisted for interview.
What’s in it for you?
Capel Manor offers a unique working environment with a range of benefits including:
- Pensions TPA
- Employee assistance programme
- Free admission to the Enfield gardens and most events for up to four guests on presentation of staff pass
- Free parking at most centres
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on ‘Apply’ and complete an online line application form.
Closing Monday 10 December 2018
Interviews Thursday 13 December 2018