Learning & Behaviour Specialist
Enable young people with learning and behavioural needs to have the summer of a lifetime. Flexible paid roles throughout June to September with NCS!
Salary: up to £27,000 pro rata (3 month contract)
About the role
Join The Challenge, the UK's largest provider of NCS, and ensure that the support we provide to young people with additional support needs is of a consistently high quality.
NCS (National Citizen Service) is a government-backed initiative with a mission to equip 15-17 year olds with the confidence, skills and support they need to make a real difference in their communities.
We strive for the NCS programme to be as inclusive as possible, providing support and resources to improve accessibility for young people with SEND, behavioural, emotional and/or physical needs.
The Learning & Behaviour Specialist works in one of our regional offices, providing support and sharing resources with the seasonal staff working on-site on the NCS programme. They work across multiple programmes in their local region, helping seasonal staff develop long-term proactive strategies for supporting young people with SEND, learning and/or behavioural needs.
Other responsibilities include:
- Assessing the needs of key young people on the programme and recommending strategies, communication techniques and activity adaptations to support them.
- Work with individual young people or small groups over a few days to provide immediate support for their additional needs.
- Work with seasonal staff to identify when a young person will need extra support, and work closely with the core Programmes team to address this.
- Experience of coaching or supporting peers in a youth work or educational setting to share and develop skills.
- Experience of working collaboratively with peers to create Action Plans for a person with additional needs.
- Knowledge of strategies for managing challenging behaviour.
- Knowledge of how to adapt sessions to make them more accessible and inclusive for those with additional needs.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, adapting working style for different groups or teams.
This role is primarily focused on supporting and empowering seasonal staff teams, and is suitable for highly experienced individuals, with the ability to facilitate and share their skills and knowledge of SEND support.
The Challenge is committed to safeguarding children and young people. All post holders are subject to appropriate vetting procedures and a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service check.