Head of Director's Office & Business Support - a 2 Year Flexible Working Opportunity
About the role
The Head of Director’s Office & Business Support role sits within the Communication and Stakeholder directorate; one of the busiest teams in Whitehall, leading Government’s most high profile campaigns.
The role oversees corporate and administrative support for a directorate of c.90 people. You will work closely with senior leaders and support the Director and wider Senior Management Team to best fulfil their strategic objectives. You will need to be comfortable working with senior civil servants, have strong interpersonal skills and an ability to influence at all levels.
You will also be responsible for ensuring that the directorate fulfils its corporate responsibilities to the department: including finance, HR, information management and estates.
The key responsibilities will split roughly between running the Director of Communications’ office and delivering business support:
Head of Office
- Running a highly effective private office function for the Director of Communications, including cross-directorate coordination, Private Office liaison, interacting with senior officials and their offices across DExEU and Whitehall, and overseeing the internal processes of the directorate.
- Using your relationships, judgement and understanding of the wider context and the Director’s need to add value to decision-making process and substance of the directorate.
- Overseeing the directorate’s work programme, working closely with the senior leadership team (SLT) and wider directorate to map, track, coordinate, sequence and escalate work appropriately.
- Assisting the Director and wider team in providing regular, high-quality advice and briefing to seniors; advising colleagues based on your knowledge of the Director’s priorities and steers.
- Acting as secretariat to the SLT and undertaking ad hoc research requests for the Director.
- Lead and deliver effective and efficient corporate processes including HR, recruitment, security, logistics, finance, staff wellbeing, and overseeing the Directorate’s delegated budget.
- Overseeing the Business Support team (3 x PAs) and line managing of 2 x administrative officers.
- Deliver corporate pieces of work for the Directorate – including business planning, financial reporting, logistics, information management, and arranging visits for senior leaders.
- Monitor and manage the Project Management Office functions for the Directorate to ensure business plans and strategies are on track, risks are recorded and discussed appropriately.
This is an intellectually demanding role, requiring close collaboration with senior leaders across the Department. The successful candidate will have a high degree of personal resilience and be a self-starter who is comfortable with exercising their judgment. S/he will be flexible and adaptable, with the ability and willingness to work at pace in a fast-moving environment.
In addition to the qualities outlined above, candidates should be able to demonstrate:
- Excellent prioritisation skills and the ability to organise a workload effectively while managing several different tasks.
- Strong communication skills, and an ability to manage relationships with senior stakeholders.
- A proven ability to quickly understand complex issues with attention to detail and exercise judgement and discretion to resolve issues quickly and delegate matters where appropriate.
- An ability to lead and motivate others to high performance, especially in periods of change.
- Success in delivering projects; meeting targets and objectives within well-defined frameworks.
- Experience in managing an administrative function. Finance literacy and commitment to value for money are musts. Experience of working in a PMO or similar structure is desirable.
- Experience managing sensitive materials is an advantage.
There is a great deal lot of autonomy and flexibility in this post which offers an exciting opportunity for you to shape and influence your role in the team.
We are a flexible and disability confident employer