An excellent opportunity has arisen for a motivated candidate to work as an NMR technician within Imperial Phenome Centre (IPC) based at Imperial College London. You will work closely with the NMR Manager and other members of the NMR team in running and maintaining the laboratory instruments, including buffer preparation, sample handling, equipment calibration and maintenance). You will be heavily involved in sample preparation for NMR analyses from human biofluid samples submitted for analysis; they will also be responsible for sample logging and archiving, NMR data acquisition and spectrum quality control.
Imperial Phenome Centre (IPC)
Imperial Phenome Centre undertakes metabolic phenotyping from a diverse portfolio of research collaborations spanning clinical medicine to large-scale population health studies from within Imperial and beyond. The IPC specialises in state-of-the-art targeted and untargeted approaches using a combination of NMR, chromatographic and MS technologies alongside innovative informatics approaches. With a key focus on building strong research collaborations, identifying biologically and clinically relevant biomarkers, and developing innovative technological and bioinformatics approaches required for the analysis of “big data”, this is an exciting role within a highly motivated and supportive team
The Centre, in operation since June 2012 (previously as the National Phenome and Clinical Phenotyping Centres), provides high-throughput, high-quality analysis of samples and engages in academic and industrial collaborations for projects requiring complex data analysis and interpretation across a wide range of research areas. It is a national resource to enable researchers (academic and commercial) to have access to state-of-the-art NMR and Mass Spectrometry facilities and expertise at Imperial to undertake this work.
The Centre is part of the Institute of Translational and Therapeutic Medicine (ITMAT) within the Imperial Biomedical Research Centre to support initially the Stratified Medicine and now the Molecular Phenomics Themes.
The IPC is a section within the Division of Integrated Systems Medicine and Digestive Diseases.
Duties and responsibilities
- Preparing biofluid samples for NMR analyses
- Running samples for NMR analysis and data acquisition to ensure quality analysis and accurate data
- Ensuring high quality and accurate reporting of data
- Documenting and complying with SOPs and other quality standards where appropriate
- Maintaining instruments: cleaning, replenishing solvents, consumables etc.
- Undertaking appropriate administration tasks including ordering of consumables and preparing routine documentation
- Ensuring all work conforms to safety requirements
- A Bachelor Degree in Biological Sciences or a related field, or equivalent vocational qualification and / or equivalent experience in a laboratory environment
- A sound understanding of Health and Safety regulations and procedures, and experience of implementing these in a laboratory environment
- Excellent laboratory skills
- Ability and willingness to perform routine and non routine tasks within deadlines
- Ability to organise own work with limited supervision
- Ability to follow protocols and learn new techniques in a concise and skilled manner
- Computer literate, good working knowledge of common office software
This is a full time, fixed term position for 2 years.
Should you require any further details on the role, please contact: Dr Beatriz Jiménez - firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical issues, please email email@example.com