Projects Actuary - Reserving Team
About the Role
LV= have a great opportunity for a Projects Actuary to join the General Insurance Revering Team. This position will report directly to the Head of GI Reserving and will be responsible for the definition, implementation and management of best practice solutions across multiple project streams.
This role would suit an individual who has a keen interest in process efficiency in order to help the team establish optimal solutions within the Reserving function. . Some of the key deliverables will include the successful implementation of IFRS 17 and the further streamlining of current processes.
- Educated to degree level in a numerate subject.
- Qualified actuary with significant GI experience.
- Excellent working knowledge of claims reserving under IFRS 4 and Solvency II. Awareness of IFRS 17 and an understanding of its impact.
- Excellent computer skills and software knowledge; an ability to create automated solutions employing a range of software packages. A knowledge of computerised accounting systems is advantageous.
- Able to present complex issues to non-technical senior managers.
- Have the ability to combine soft influencing and persuasion skills with leadership qualities that will encourage business leaders to positively respond to questions, inquires and requests to meet deadlines.
- An ability to accept professional responsibility and accountability.
- Good commercial and business awareness with an excellent grasp of financial principles and business modelling.
- Effective leadership and delegation skills.
- Proven analytical skills with the ability to be pragmatic.
- An ability to consistently achieve high standards of quality customer focus.
- An ability to understand the need for ethical considerations and to make reasoned judgements in a defined situation.
- Persuasive verbal and written communication skills using a range of communication media.
- Effective organisational skills to deliver accurate work under pressure against agreed deadlines, while remaining approachable.
- Good level of self-awareness; pursues self-development; seeks feedback from others and opportunities to master new knowledge and broaden experience.
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work on own initiative to high standards and be an active team player
Specific aspects of role
- Define and deliver actuarial processes to establish claims reserve adequacy across all GI products under IFRS 17, within an efficient process for solvency II and other reporting
- Ensuring that all BAU Actuarial Reserving processes are designed and built to be run efficiently, in line with best practice and good governance. Delivery of an updated suite of reporting tools to minimise time requirements for data manipulation and reporting, therefore maximising the time spent by the Actuarial Reserving team on value adding analytics.
- Aid in optimising the transition of information across the GI Finance department to increase working knowledge across the respective teams and minimise human error risk.
- Effectively represent the Actuarial Reserving function within wider cross-departmental BAU projects.
- Support the 5 year business planning process through process and timetabling improvements, including the delivery of frequency projections, expected claims payment patterns and capital resource projections for solvency position projections.
- Strong contribution to the leadership and development of the GI Actuarial Reserving team, collaborating with the actuarial production team to ensure that there is a consistent approach to people development.
General aspects of role
- Ensuring LVGIG Finance frameworks, policies, standards and timetables are adhered to within its endeavours to effectively manage the finances of LVGIG.
- Responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of data and information supplied to the wider Actuarial Reserving team.
- To be forward looking, identifying risks and opportunities with an eye on downstream implications of change across the Finance function as well as the business as a whole.
- Ensure the design and build of tools are appropriate for ongoing monitoring and management of risks, both operational and financial.
- Coaching and developing team members to ensure the performance objectives are met and that the team feel highly valued and motivated.
- Operate as an influential and engaged member of wider team.
- Produce ad-hoc reports and analysis.
- Ensure process mapping and procedures notes are appropriately documented for all key tasks.
- Lead in the development of solutions to strategic and operational initiatives including delivery of assigned projects within agreed time scales and budgets ensuring a professional, market leading function.
- Ensure policies are agreed with relevant governance forums and provide or procure all necessary support to those forums.
- Maintain knowledge of relevant industry best practice.
- Be prepared to assist the team through busy periods for the benefit of colleagues and the wider business.
About the Rewards
This role is a Band C in the LV= Structure. To We want you to love what you do that’s why we’ve put together a benefits package that recognises and rewards a job well done.
We’ll give you:
- 30 days' holiday, with the option to buy up to 2 additional days
- a competitive pension for which LV= will pay twice the amount you pay, up to 14% (please click here to read more about it)
- an annual bonus scheme based on company and personal performance
- Single cover private medical insurance which you can upgrade to family cover
- a flexible benefits package (e.g. discounted retail vouchers, great value dental insurance, childcare vouchers)
- a generous 25% discount off our general insurance products including home, pet and travel. Up to 50% discount on your car insurance and up to 20% discount from our life products.
- To find out more about our benefits and rewards, please click here.