Audit Assistant Manager - Public Services
Job Title: Audit Assistant Manager
Grade: Assistant Manager
Service Line: Audit - Public Services
Reporting To: Senior Management team
Key Relationships: Audit team, wider Mazars teams i.e. tax teams, colleagues, clients
Salary: £48,000 pa + core and flexible benefits, plus rewards for excellence bonus
As an Audit Assistant Manager you will be managing some audits and also leading aspects of more complex and large audits. You will be working predominantly on public sector clients. You may be a technical specialist in one or more complex knowledge areas and may be requested to stand in for more senior managers from time to time.
As the third largest provider of external audit services within the public sector our vision is to be recognised in the marketplace as a firm focused on our people and our clients, and as a firm that stands out for its contribution to society.
Mazars and the public sector
The public sector is a strategic market for Mazars, which means that it is a priority area for our investment and growth. We provide audit, assurance and advisory services to local authorities, police and fire bodies, NHS organisations, central government bodies and NDPBs, social housing organisations, universities, colleges and schools.
The public services audit team works with local government, health and central government entities. The scale of our clients’ activities includes revenues that range from over £1.5 billion up to under £50m. For local government entities, Public Sector Audit Appointments commissions our work as external audit supplier. In the health sector we directly engage with individual CCGs and Trusts. The firm is a framework supplier on several public sector audit frameworks, including that let by the National Audit Office.
• Assisting and advising the audit team on the formulation of audit strategy and planning.
• Showing vision, strategic perspective and focus on the achievement of longer term goals.
• Leading and supervising an audit team, allocating work to team members and ensuring the team complete work to
quality standards and in a timely manner.
• Providing on the job training to assistants and seniors.
• Managing and controlling audit assignments from planning through to finalisation of reports in line with agreed
• Controlling time spent and monitoring actual time with the budget.
• Considering the needs and skills of those under supervision organising tasks and responsibilities.
• Reviewing the work of seniors and providing informal feedback throughout the fieldwork stage.
• Acting as a point of contact for engagement leads and clients, ensuring both are kept fully informed of any issues
arising and the progress of the audit.
• Building strong working relationships with the client, ensuring any problems or requests are dealt with promptly.
• Responding to the needs of clients and staff.
• Ensuring that clients are billed according to agreed billing plans.
• Assisting with business development by working with audit colleagues in other Mazars offices and colleagues in other
• Identifying and capitalising on opportunities and prospects for new work.
• Qualified accountant - CIPFA, ACA, ACCA, CA (or equivalent) with some post qualification experience (essential)
• Experience of managing the delivery of external audit to public sector bodies under the NAO Code of Audit Practice or
the Audit Commission Code (essential)
• Essential experience should include local government and NHS (including NHS foundation trusts).
• As the position involves client contact, the person must be able to present a professional image to the firm’s clients.
• Experience of managing teams.
• Excellent written and oral presentation skills required.
• A desire to help grow and develop the business and the team.
• Ability to develop new initiatives and methodologies.
• Ability to identify issues thought sound analysis and application of commercial acumen in all situations.
• Ability to express ideas with authority and conviction through verbal and written communication.
• Ability to develop self and others.
Please CLICK HERE to download the job description.
Mazars is all about people - we believe that each individual makes a difference to the Mazars culture. As an international firm with strong European roots, we are a melting pot of different cultures and disciplines. Diversity is one of our main strengths.
We are an international, integrated, transparent and independent organisation specialising in audit, accountancy, tax, legal, and advisory services. The Group has a presence over 80 countries and draws on the expertise of 17,000 professionals.
We all work within a culture of high support and high challenge at Mazars. We are not afraid to take on new and greater responsibilities. But we do this through encouragement - not pressure and competition.
Mazars LLP is an equal opportunities employer and all applications received by the firm will be considered by the firm on the basis of their merit alone and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified individuals regardless of background. All offers of employment will be conditional on the candidate having/securing the right to work in the UK and providing the firm with evidence of that right (as required by the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006) prior to employment commencing.