Communications Manager - flexible working patterns with up to two days a week from home
Our flexible working:
This is a valuable opportunity to take on a career-defining role in a high-profile team. With the scope to forge a broad network of contacts across government, you will benefit from plenty of support to help you achieve your personal goals – plus access to the type of challenges that will elevate your career to the next level.
You will also receive a competitive benefits package, plus a great work/life balance – including the chance to adopt flexible working patterns with up to two days a week from home (subject to completing your probation period).
The FCO promotes the United Kingdom's interests overseas, supporting our citizens and businesses around the globe. This includes building the UK’s prosperity by increasing exports and investment, opening markets, ensuring access to resources, and promoting sustainable global growth.
The FCO has many tools at its disposal to increase global prosperity, one of which is through the cross-government Prosperity Fund which also supports the government’s National Security Strategy, and Aid Strategy.
The £1.2 billion cross-government Prosperity Fund has been designed to deliver high-impact programmes to support the inclusive economic growth needed to reduce poverty in ODA-eligible middle income countries. The Fund’s activities also contribute to the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Approximately two thirds of these programmes are being run by the FCO, and it is here that we need your support.
Middle income countries are home to around 60% of the world’s poorest people and seek our partnership and expertise to trade and grow out of poverty. At the same time they present huge untapped economic potential with 60% of global growth expected to come from middle income and emerging economies by 2030.
About the role:
With 16 multi-million pound programmes to support, you will take on a two-pronged challenge.
- Firstly, you will develop and implement a strong internal communications strategy that will ensure stakeholders’ interests are reflected in all communications, and that programme personnel can easily reach the central advice and information they need to deliver their programmes.
- You will lead on external communications, working with programme teams to develop comprehensive communications plans for each programme.
- To support cross-cutting external communications, you will undertake a variety of vital challenges such as writing Ministerial speeches, developing success stories for use in communications, responding to media requests, and amplifying the positive impact of the Fund.
- Ensuring a consistently positive narrative is created, you will make sure our messaging is always accurate – thereby promoting support and understanding for the Fund with key internal and external stakeholders and across the British public.
This is a role that will require you to be both happy working off your own initiative, and as part of a larger communications network (including the FCO media office and the Joint Funds Unit communications team).
- You will therefore be a dynamic self-starter, with good project management and negotiation skills. With a solid track-record of building internal and external communications strategies within a culturally-diverse and highly complex organisation,
- You will have a good knowledge of the processes within UK government communications, including briefing, public and defensive lines, infographics, slide packs and public-facing narratives.
- As you will be working with a global network of embassies and consulates, you will need experience of building communications capability in non-communications specialists, and you will be keen to share your social media and digital know-how.
- Ready to hit the ground running, you will always have an eye on the bigger picture.
- So if you know what it takes to unearth great information for positive communications stories, you are able to share that expertise with colleagues and you would enjoy elevating the profile of a truly worthwhile and ambitious initiative, then this is the role for you.
Closing date: 29 April 2019.